Is anyone interested?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Is anyone interested?

Post by dahlmer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:17 pm

I've been thinking for a while that it might be kind of fun to have a thread that showed how to properly measure (B&C) various types of animals. It would require oversight by some on the site (BOHNTR) that are qualified to teach. It seems to me like a good way to show common mistakes as well as help us all be more informed about the whole process. I would be happy to provide some pictures of a few animals to start with and if anyone else wanted to it sounds like fun.

So what do you think?
Last edited by dahlmer on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is anyone intersted?

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:24 pm

I like the idea, if the PRO's have time to do it or are willing.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Is anyone interested?

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I'd love to get some tips on scoring big game, especially deer & elk. I tried to score a muley buck this year just by using the instructions on the scoring sheet from the B&C website & it was difficult (of course I was using my wife's fabric tape measure... so there's my first problem). Certainly I did several things wrong & was probably no where close to the actual score.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:54 pm

:thumb

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm

I think this is a great idea! Eastman's just started doing segments in their magazines on how to properly score different animals, but not everyone subscribes so this would be a good outlet. I'm looking forward to reading some of them, as I have very minimal experience in scoring any type of sheep or goat.

Just to get started a little, some of the most common mistakes I find people make is trying to include the tip-to-tip spread as part of the score and measuring the mainbeam from the last point (G4 in most cases on a mulie) to the tip of the mainbeam and counting it as another point...essentially counting those inches of the mainbeam twice.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:38 am

I'd be happy to help out.......let's do it!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:11 am

I've got an easy 4 point buck we can start with. I'll get some pictures today when I get home from work.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Most mistakes I've seen over the years from folks who measure their antlers themselves and then have me officially measure them is incorrect baselines (on most points) and incorrect main-beam length.

Baselines

This line should be above the center main-beam line and at the BASE of the point. When making this line, it should give the appearance that if you shaved off the point at this location, the main-beam curvature would look normal......as if the point wasn't there. This is where your respective tine length begins......down the center of the point to it's respective tip.

Main-Beam
A quick tip when determining the main-beam length is lining up the respective side you're measuring with the other side.......until the other side disappears...including the burr. When you accomplish this, the main-beam length will be from the burr directly in the center of the main-beam all the way to the tip. Many folks will incorrectly bring the cable or tape "behind" the antler just above the burr and bring it back to center as they make the curve towards the baseline at G2. This will give a "longer" main-beam length....but is an incorrect measurement.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 pm

This could/should be a fun thread. =D>

The most common mistake I see people make is, like BOHNTR mentioned, is measuring tines by going to the middle of the main beam instead of how BOHNTR instructed. The other mistake I see fairly often is on elk, many measure the main beam and then measure the "6th point" again.

I have put a tape to several hundred animals, but I think being able to score animals fairly close while they are still alive is much trickier, and much more valuable, but that's just me and another topic. :-$
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:59 pm

well ,maybe it'll get moved to a sticky, but lets get it rolling!
BOHNTR, i once read a post you made. it said, unless i'm mistaking, "all animals will get 4 mass measurments"

did i read that right? if so, i think that could be one of the biggest mistakes people make measuring themselves.

if i read it correctlly, even if it is a forked horn/ 2 point, you WILL get 4 mass measurments, with the measurment taken halfway beween where the beam and tip , across where the point should have been.?

unless i misread a post, i believe i read this fact fro bohntr, and it is amazine how many guys dont realize that a big o'l 3 point buck or a genetic 5 point bull, will still ge 4 mass measurments.

BUT----- A 7 POINT bull WILL STILL ONLY GET "4" MASS MEASUREMENTS also.
please correct me if i'm wrong, we all just want to learn!