Venison Recipes

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Venison Recipes

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey guys, would y'all be willing to share some of your recipes for big game. It was a good year for me with a little buck & cow elk in the freezer. I'd like to have some ideas for ways to use it. We typically go with the crock pot roast, but a little variety would be nice. Also if anyone has a good recipe for salami and/or jerky I'd like to try making some (I've had some that was commercially prepared... yum). That would be awesome too.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Venison Recipes

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:41 am

Do you have a grinder?
We have done so many things in the past I will try and remember them. Some of my favorites are Cutting up a roast for fajitas or stir fry.
Also all of the sausages. We usually make summer sausage, bratwurst, and breakfast sausage. I like jerky but it just wastes so much meat to me. Anywho if you have a grinder i will send you some info on all the sausage stuff we do.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:12 pm

My favorite is backstrap wrapped in bacon and BBQ'd 10sign:

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:14 pm

I've got a grinder.
Thanks BIG R, I'll give the bacon wrapped backstrap a try for sure... everything is better with bacon. :thumb
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:47 pm

One of my favorites is taking some round steak and slicing it into small strips along the grain. Brown it in a big skillet in butter with your choice of seasoning (we like Tony's). Once the meat is cooked, smother it with plenty of gravy (again, your choice but we like a brown mushroom gravy). Let it all simmer while you cook up a big ol' pot of rice. Once the rice is done, put a heaping pile on a plate and smother it with the meat/gravy. A side or two plus some fresh French bread and you have a meal fit for a king.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I bought Jim Zumbo's Book and I must admit, it's awesome. My family loves a lot of the stuff he has in there. Most are very simple to make to.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 am

GUTPYLZ wrote:I bought Jim Zumbo's Book and I must admit, it's awesome. My family loves a lot of the stuff he has in there. Most are very simple to make to.
I picked up his book about 12 years ago and have tried quite a few of them myself.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks ABert & GUTPYLZ, I'll look up the Zumbo book.
-Albus Dumbledore