2012 deer unit boundaries are up,,30 units,see maps

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Re: 2012 deer unit boundaries are up,,30 units,see maps

Post by PhillyB » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:I hunt 7 out of those Southern Units, now I can't walk across the Highway and hunt the other side of the road.
I agree completely. The area I have been hunting is split right down the middle. That makes it tough, especially for us bowhunters.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm not a fan of the 30 units!!! I'm not a fan on the tag cuts either

Wonder how this will play out in 2-3 years
Watch your top knot!

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:20 pm

9er wrote: Wonder how this will play out in 2-3 years
To me it's Occam's razor : "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one."

MONEY!

When they were coming up with the plan they admitted it will not increase the population.

But in 2-3 years it will be a piece of cake for them to shut down many of the units and open them as LE later on. More in, and out of state money.

I hope I'm wrong, but when was the last time a gov organization did something that made things better and not worse, at the same time lightening your pocketbook for you?

Just playing the devils advocate her...... wait, that's my real opinion. :)

lobowatch
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lobowatch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Not a fan at all for the micro units. As some folks on here said, this new management plan will NOT help our deer herds, just as the dwr has said on numerous occasions. It was a knee jerk reaction by the wildlife board to do "something". However, there was a lot of pressure by certain lobbying orgs, one in particular that had/has the boards ear.

The ONLY benefit I can see coming out of this deal is the dwr's ability to micro manage "hunters" on units that may require reductions of hunters due to low fawn/doe ratios. That can't be accomplished as easily on regional units, but that's about it folks. Like someone else said here, it won't be long until some of these micro unites are turned into bonafied LE units with very few tags avaliable. Once the buck/doe ration drops below 18/100, it goes up to 25/100! Only way to achieve that goal is to reduce tags even further! When was the last time the WB voted to take an LE unit back to general? Yeah, exactly!

Until this State begins to manage our wildlife to "grow" herds and not maintain them, and use scientific biology instead of social and political biology, we will continue to lose opportunity and our herds will suffer. It is a down right shame the direction our hunting heritage has gone.

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:53 pm

How will this affect the extended archery areas? Do you have to get a permit in order to hunt the extended period or are they just doing away with it all together?? I sure hope thats not the case!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

I haven't heard that the extended areas will be affected by the change. I'm not sure that a final decision has been made in regard to archery hunting in general.