Are the Utah bucks up high this year?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
PredatorSlayer1
Fawn
Fawn

Are the Utah bucks up high this year?

Post by PredatorSlayer1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

I have heard some people say that the late winter that we had is going to make the deer stay lower in elevation because they wont need to go up high for food. Is this true?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are the Utah bucks up high this year?

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Honestly no I don't think that's true, that's just my opinion though. I've seen them high, low, and every where in between. But it seems harder to find them, there spread out and tougher to find IMO. Plus to be honest the numbers aren't high.

highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Post by highcountryarchery » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Around here i have noticed that there is not the amount of deer in the fields that there usually is this time of year. The feed is still good up higher and lots of water so the deer that usually stay low haved moved up this year just my opinion

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:07 am

Although some are high I think they are just more spread out in elevation which can make it more difficult to locate.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:26 am

The deer should be high this year, just like any other year. They normally more up with the new growth during the spring and summer. If anything, I would expect the feed to stay good longer this year which may keep them high longer.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:59 am

I think everyone was saying they were lower just because it took the high country longer to open up. I saw a lot of good bucks low early in my scouting before the high country feed was available. But since the feed is up there now & there is still a ton of water and the weather has been so warm, I wouldn't see any reason to be anywhere BUT up high.
On the muzzleloader hunt this year we saw fewer bucks and we were hunting between 7000 and 8000 feet elevation (which is relatively low but that's as high as the property I hunt goes).
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

PredatorSlayer1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PredatorSlayer1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks guys, I plan on hunting at about 9000 feet in the upper basins this year. I have never hunted this high or in these basins. Any advice on hunting up high doing spot and stalk would be much appreciated.

fortheloveofthewild
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fortheloveofthewild » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 pm

As soon as the snow falls and people are out. Get into the thick stuff. Nothing you don't know tho.
Good Times!