moving in snow

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
bcghost
Fawn
Fawn

moving in snow

Post by bcghost » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:12 am

Hi everyone the question I have is .What do you guys do when you have to still hunt in snow .Like do you move slower than usual or do you change your hunt and dont go into the timber.It seems like the snow is loud, either crunching or squeeking.The area I am hunting requires me to hike in to an area,I feel as if every animal around will hear me as I aproach the hunting area. Thanks for any tips.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: moving in snow

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Well your correct, it's very loud and crunchy if it's not fresh. But snow fall can create excellent sneaking conditions IMO. Soft, low noise, poor visibility if it's snowing are great for getting in close. Best of luck, but YES always move slow...well almost always go fast when the bucks are fighting. :) :thumb

ArrowAndBow
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ArrowAndBow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 pm

i encountered a similar situation a few weeks ago. I hit some loud, crunchy snow but I managed to get pretty close to some Muleys before they spooked. I wouldn't suggest being any louder than necessary, obviously, but I tyr to remember that the woods aren't really quiet. Trees fall, limbs break and squirrels sound like deer. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up just because you think you're busted. Move slowly, sticking near trees and other places likely to hold softer snow, and keepm an arrow nocked.
Happy hunting -J
Good judgement comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgement

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:26 am

ArrowAndBow wrote:i encountered a similar situation a few weeks ago. I hit some loud, crunchy snow but I managed to get pretty close to some Muleys before they spooked. I wouldn't suggest being any louder than necessary, obviously, but I tyr to remember that the woods aren't really quiet. Trees fall, limbs break and squirrels sound like deer. I guess what I'm saying is don't give up just because you think you're busted. Move slowly, sticking near trees and other places likely to hold softer snow, and keepm an arrow nocked.
Happy hunting -J
Great comment. You're exactly right. I think our instinct kicks in and we think we're being loud when we're really not. When you're adrenaline is pumping and your stalking an animal you're own breathing sounds loud.

bcghost
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bcghost » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:35 pm

I went up to my spot and just moved slow and changed my walking patterns so they would not be as much like a two legged predator.In the end I did get close to some does no big bucks unfortunatly.Going back again ,cant stop till one drops.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:18 am

Old crusty snow is a pain. Yes, move slow, crunching in snow is a natural sound, herd animals like deer and elk hear it all the time.
Resting animals are much harder to approach then a herd on the move or feeding.
Wearing soft clothing is very important, fleece, wool that makes no human type sounds.