too big????

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Anonymous

too big????

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:35 am

is a 300 win mag really to big for mule deer?? i wanted to shoot farther and carry a heavier bullet for brush country.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:33 am

Is a 300. win mag to big for mule deer?

i have been using a ruger 300 win mag for about six years now and i finally broke down this past year and bought a different gun for shooting mulies with. i was just so absolutely tired of the mess they would make of a deer. as far as the shooting farther comment, yeah they will shoot a long ways but if you looked at your ballistic chart you would see that the 300 actually follows a path like a rainbow, however, they have some serious knock down power at those long ranges. they are sweet rifles and i will still use mine, probably never on deer again. I bought a new remington model 700 7mm. ultar mag.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:04 am

Here in Arkinsaw, the 7 mag was the long range deer champ for many years until Remington came out with their "beanfield" guns in 7mmSTW. Lots of guys switched. All my crew did. We gave them a workout the next fall in northwest Colorado. And when it came time to "go to work", they did not disappoint.

Lots of those Greenies swore by the 300 Win mag and we witnessed some pretty impressive distance results on elk and muleys. We never utilized that caliber, however, for the very reason WYMULEYMAN just gave you. Lots of unnecessary damage. Admittedly, that has some value for a poorly placed shot (we all make those from time to time), however, the axiom is always to practice, practice, practice....and practice some more at the distance and under the conditions in which you anticipate shooting the game being pursued. Yeah, the 300 Win mag will reach out there and touch 'em at 500. The bigger question is: "Will it do that with you as the pilot ?"

Obviously, I am an STW believer in spite of its recent demise in popularity and the attendant difficulty in getting good factory loads. I will, however, be the first to admit that the 300 Win mag is a good round, logistically easy to support, and will do you a good job over longer ranges.

It is, however, a little over the top for a miserable little 100 pound whitetail across a rice field at 200 yards here in Arkinsaw. Makes too much crimson mist, not unlike a 22-250 ballistic tip on a sod poodle.

I can't waste too much meat. Got a house full of little urchins and a barefoot, pregnant wife to feed.................not to mention a doublewide to pay for. :wink:
Last edited by wyomingtrophyhunter on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:50 am

wyomingtrophyhunter:
once again, man i love reading your posts. i sit at my computer trying to picture exactly what you try to explain on your posts and it brings me to laughter every time. anyways in regards to your last post! you are exactly right about the shot placement. a rifle will only perform to the pilots abbilities. i bad shot means bad consequences and vice versa. i absolutely love my 300. win mag "the long gun" as i like to call her. she definetly will reach out and touch something. and with a well placed shot she will limit the amount of damage. however one of the biggest drawbacks i came to find with my 300 is that although it has the knock down power at long distances she also drops like rock being thrown from a tall building, example; on the ballistic chart that i use, it says the 300 shot with a 180 grain bullet is going to drop 24 inches at 400 yards, however she is still pushing something like 3400 at 400 yards, but that is alot of drop. so i went with the 7mm ultramag because not only do i have a flat shooting rifle but i also have a cannon that will put them on the ground.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

wyomingtrophyhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by wyomingtrophyhunter » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:57 pm

The 7mmRUM is the stuff. It betters my beloved STW just slightly, but is not belted so it headspaces more traditionally...usually resulting in better accuracy. Or so the ballistics gurus say.

When they first came out a couple years ago, I got one of those new Remington 673 Guide Rifles in 300 Remington SAUM. It compared pretty well to the 300 Win mag but the old STW still had both of them beat in every catagory. For a carbine, it did shoot amazingly well and was not a stomper like its godfather, the veritable 600/660 series in 350 mag.

But alas, I traded it for another STW stainless Sendero, mainly because I like traipsing around in the mountains with a 750 pound rifle. That light, little 673 was too nimble; I caught myself twirling it like a gushy teenage majorette with a flaming baton.

Besides, that short action Remington just didn't give my cranking arm enough of a workout. I was afraid if I got too used to it, I might short-jack something else.....and hit myself between the eyes !! :oops:

By the way, I went to a family reunion this past weekend. It was a great time but it never fails, the festivities always turn into an Arkinsaw wedding.

Now, my youngest sister is also my aunt................. :shock:
"Make 'em leak"

Metz

razorbackbowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by razorbackbowhunter » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:02 pm

shoots flat, hits hard, what more could u ask for. thats what i use on whitetail in arkansas. anything that knocks them down and keeps em down.

rick
Fawn
Fawn

Post by rick » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:54 pm

thankx for the insite on the 300. yes ive herd about some of the damage, however i will not shoot any deer with a 180gr slug. 140ish to165 tops and all the saying about puttin it in the kitchen is enough. if a 2nd round is called for then it goes thru the front shoulders, but the lungs/heart first. elk would be the 180-200gr bullet still the same bullet placement w/these big dogs as well. lots of credit to the good/oll 270 for past kills in my life, ijust dont shoot it beyond 400yds with the loss of down range power so i need a farther shootin gun. i stumbled across a mod 700lss and it shoots sub.5/8 groups @100yds outta the box. i just needed a few more opnions from other parts of the usa. thankx again form so.idaho