Idaho - Unit 43 General

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
daveytech
Fawn
Fawn

Idaho - Unit 43 General

Post by daveytech » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:59 pm

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for awhile and I have to say this is quite the place.

I finally decided to register so I could ask for some pointers!

Last year I hunted in Idaho for the first time. On the eastern side of Unit 43.

There was an early snow and only one of the four of us managed to fill a tag. It was extremely disappointing, I hiked between 3-6 miles a day for 6 days and only saw does. I ended up picking up camp and traveling west, to lower elevation (4500-6000ish) where the hunters were having much better success.

Having only ever lived and hunted in California (Ive drawn X zone tags a few times), I feel quite inexperienced. That said, mule deer hunting is my greatest passion. Sadly, I have never shot anything better than a small 3x3, or seen anything better than that in the wild. I dream about bagging a 4x4 some day, even a small one. I know it's not much but hey, a man has to start somewhere.

This brings me to my next point... I lack the ability to go scout in ID. Though I might be able to to convince my supervisors to let me go in future years.

While I have some good ideas of where to hunt in this unit, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on where to start. I'm willing to hike anywhere.

If anyone has advice or tips for campgrounds in the area near Featherville I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for listening,
Davey

pokymuleys
Fawn
Fawn

Post by pokymuleys » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:27 pm

i know of places to find big bucks in eastern idaho around pocatello idaho but not in unit 43 if u need more info about hunting around eastern idaho just ask i should know

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:28 pm

I'm no help on your unit in Idaho, but WELCOME and a PLEASURE to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy and stick around.

Brett

::wel

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Davey, WELCOME TO MM! Sorry I can't help ya as far as the request goes. I do hunt whitetail in N ID every year but do not get into the southern portions much.

I just wanted to take a second to welcome you to one of the best hunting sites around.

idhuntnfool
Fawn
Fawn

Post by idhuntnfool » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:54 pm

I have tried hunting the same area with about as much success as you. although I have been close to trinity mt. and run into a few decent bucks. shoot me an e-mail and we'll talk.good luck
work sucks lets hunt

IDdesertman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by IDdesertman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:23 pm

I was on the east side of 43 this last weekend. This was my first time in that area so I mainly drove around, not much hiking. I did see about 7 does. Its definately is a good looking area and I would also like to hear from some folks who have hunted there in the past...

daveytech
Fawn
Fawn

Post by daveytech » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:39 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

pokymuleys: I have been considering a change of unit in Idaho, but two of the guys I hunt with have hunted this unit in the past and seem stuck on it. Is the area you speak of a general hunt unit?

idhuntnfool: I will e-mail you shortly.

IDdesertman: The eastern side is higher elevation and looks fantastic. The issue we had last year was an early snow before the season opened (or thats how I see it anyways). We met some hunters who had been hunting that area for 14 years and they said they had always had a lot of success except for this past year.

idhuntnfool
Fawn
Fawn

Post by idhuntnfool » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:15 pm

A guy told me most of the deer migrate out early. He said they go into Unit 45. Who knows how true that is.
work sucks lets hunt

joshuadhogue
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Idaho - Unit 43 General

Post by joshuadhogue » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 am

I have hunted unit 43 for my whole life. I would recomend hunting lick cr. trail. It is just south of the old smokey bar at the base of fleck summit. There is a small road off of the main road that takes you to the base of the trail. I have shot two trophy buck up that trail. A 5x6 that had a 32 inch spread and a 4x4 with a 36 inch spread. I have moved on to archery hunting and i see monster bucks every year. The only buck i have got with my bow was a two point, however, I get closer and closer every year. I hope this helps you. let me know if you need any more information!

bmaxxx
Fawn
Fawn

Re:

Post by bmaxxx » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 pm

idhuntnfool wrote:A guy told me most of the deer migrate out early. He said they go into Unit 45. Who knows how true that is.
i have family in gooding and i'd agree 45 or 52 would definitely be a unit to got to. however, the bennet hills are a controled hunt with some steep odds.