Corn to bait

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
izzy
Fawn
Fawn

Corn to bait

Post by izzy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 pm

I was thinking of baiting with c'mere deer and corn for whitetail and mule. Just wondering what kind of corn to use? Can I just use unpopped popping corn?

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Re: Corn to bait

Post by M.Bird » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 am

Izzy:
I see you are not getting a straight answer that you where looking for.
I grew up in the Rockies, I have never baited, nor has anyone I ever hunted with ever used bait/Salt/Minerals…etc. Deer love corn, and other grains, they enjoy sweet feed and Alpha, you can set up near a corn field or alpha field and HUNT them, but baiting them is not done by Western hunters We hunt in the West, not shoot over baited stands, that is something done on the East Coast.
Best of Luck
M.Bird

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:10 am

Just to add to M. Bird's post, baiting and/or using mineral supplements is also illegal in many Western states. You may want to check the regulations to ensure it's legal where you plan on using these items. Good luck and hope it helps.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:49 am

Izzy, I just wanted to echo what BOHNTR already posted. Hunting deer over bait is illegal in a few of the western states. You did not mention which state you planned on hunting, therefore I cannot give you any information as to whether or not it is legal in your area (For instance, it is illegal here were I hunt).

I know in states back east and south they hunt over feeders, baited fields, etc for whitetail. I have never seen or heard of hunting mule deer at all over bait of any kind. Most mule deer hunting in the west is done via spot and stalk or learning thier daily habits and posting yourself in a spot in which you can watch thier daily movements from beds to feed to water and back again. Deer are habitual and learning thier patterns is one key to a successful hunt. If you're hunting mule deer in open country, spot and stalk with good optics is normally the way to go. Watch the wind, use the land and folds therein to your advantage, and learn were the nearest watering holes are and you are a step ahead of the game.

Good luck!

westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by westTXhunter » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 pm

I have hunted over bait my whole life and never thought I wasn't a sportsmen. I traveled to WY last year on a DIY public land hunt and was shocked at the way everyone hunted. I saw so many "hunters" on atv's and trucks in was crazy. I NEVER saw anyone get off the road even 500 yards. It was good for me I didn't have to compete with anyone for prime spots. I look at corn and bait as a game management tool. Just because you hunt out west doesn't make you any better or worse than someone who takes advantage of legal means of baiting. A true monster will not come into bait anyway. So to everyone who says baiting is bad Texas has more whitetail than any other state. Our muleys aren't bad either. I shot a 155" 3x3 on our ranch in west Texas last season.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 pm

OVER BAIT?Bait hunting is just a plain boring concept,its not "hunting" its sitting on your hind end and waiting,not my style,get out of your easy chair and hump the hills,you may change your mind. :>/

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:04 pm

westTXhunter wrote:I have hunted over bait my whole life and never thought I wasn't a sportsmen. I traveled to WY last year on a DIY public land hunt and was shocked at the way everyone hunted. I saw so many "hunters" on atv's and trucks in was crazy. I NEVER saw anyone get off the road even 500 yards. It was good for me I didn't have to compete with anyone for prime spots. I look at corn and bait as a game management tool. Just because you hunt out west doesn't make you any better or worse than someone who takes advantage of legal means of baiting. A true monster will not come into bait anyway. So to everyone who says baiting is bad Texas has more whitetail than any other state. Our muleys aren't bad either. I shot a 155" 3x3 on our ranch in west Texas last season.
First, I'm sorry for my post that got deleted. I thought someone was messing with us trying to get a laugh out of us. I'm not for High Fenced, Feeder hunting either. I honestly don't feel that it's hunting IMHO. Hunting brings out my predatorial instincts and that's why I like "spot and stalk" or "Still Hunting". As for ATV's and road hunting that is why most people don't fill their tag. I think most people like the "Thought" of hunting rather than hunting, which is OK. We need all the support to conserve our rights to hunt.
Why do you think Texas uses Feeders for a management tool? It's because a lot of it is flat and most won't get off their ATV's, High Motion Stands and hike the flats. I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to walk through thorn bushes :)) To each his own on what they believe as long as it's legal. Just because I'm not for it doesn't make it wrong. That's why I love it out west where others share my views.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL