West Texas Mule Deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

West Texas Mule Deer

Post by westTXhunter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 am

Has anybody had any luck in Texas this year? I'm headed out tonight to see if I can get lucky.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Re: West Texas Mule Deer

Post by NONYA » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Heard someone kille a new NON typ MD state record this year...panhandle region...

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:40 pm

I know there were some bruisers in the panhandle when I hunted there, over twenty years ago. One of the best bucks I saw was when I was dove hunting. A real nice 4 point with a big body. Jumped him at about 15 yards and dang near pulled the trigger. In an instant I thought that 8 shot out of a 20 guage probably wasn't the best round for deer, even at that range.

I wish you good luck on your hunt!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

HmanTX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by HmanTX » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:49 pm

I had a little luck a couple weeks ago in Hockley County. They just opened a season in Gaines County and they killed a few 200" class deer there this year. Hockley County season was 11/22 to 11/30.
This is my first Muley and in Texas nonetheless:

Let us know how you did. GOOD LUCK!

westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by westTXhunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I had two encounters with two different bucks. One shooter and a younger deer that I got great video of. He is about a 155 or 160 inch deer but, he wasn't that much bigger than my buck from last year. I let him walk. If i can figure out how to get the video off of my VHS camcorder i will post that. The bigger buck was about 180 inches. I didn't see one doe that was very odd. Congrats on the great looking Texas buck.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:33 pm

HmanTX

Welcome, nice buck! :thumb

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

HmanTX, welcome to MuleyMadness!

Man, that's a fine lookin' Texas Muley! CONGRATS

HmanTX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by HmanTX » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! I am naturally a Whitetail hunter, but I've been out hunting these Muleys for the past two years, and I have definately been bitten by the bug. The areas I am hunting are mostly agricultural, with very little to no trees or elevation changes. This has proven to be quite a challenge for a guy used to hunting in the trees and brush.

WestTXhunter,
I seen 5 different bucks, but only two does. Like you stated, it was different.
What area do you hunt? Public or Private?

westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by westTXhunter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:57 pm

We have a family ranch on the Pecos River. My great great grandfather homesteaded 160 sections. We don't have much of the county left but, it's enough to hunt for sure. Its pretty flat but we do have some elevation changes. The brush has really grown over the last three years with all the rain. That makes them hard to spot. The whitetails are starting to move into the thick parts of the ranch. I don't know if i like that or not.
Last edited by westTXhunter on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

HmanTX
Fawn
Fawn

Post by HmanTX » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I've heard that the hunting is pretty good in that area. Do you post on THF? I was quite surprised to see a decent Whitetail buck up in Hockley County, as well.