What to do?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

What to do?

Post by Wild Antlers » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Went out looking at deer and spotted a nice one feeding so I thought id try to get a little closer for a pic after a couple pics I noticed he was favoring his back left leg looks to be broken or maybe just infected for some reason but the deer looks to be in pretty bad shape probably 50 lbs underweight and hip and rib bones showing , probably wont survive the winter, especially with the number of coyotes in the area.

That being said what do you guys think the right thing to do is? should the deer be left alone and given a chance or should he be killed to possibly prevent him from spreading anything to any other deer. What do you guys think?

Oh Ill post pics soon!
WILD ANTLERS

BOHNTR

Re: What to do?

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 pm

My opinion.....let mother nature take it's course. If it nags at you, report it to DOW and have them check it out for any potential disease issues. It's tough sometimes to see those things for sure though.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 pm

I agree. We all know how cruel mother nature can be but I think you have to let her "do her thing". It sucks sometimes but that's the way it goes sometimes. The weak and wounded die while the strong and healthy carry on.

I have dispatched wounded deer before but two were both hit by cars and one was wounded by another hunter. Really not the work of mother nature in that case and I couldn't let them lay there and die a slow death. Some may think it's the same thing but I didn't/don't see it that way.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:27 am

I think you'd be fine either way, letting nature run it's course and if you can't stand that then give the DWR a call. They may not do anything either though, bummer deal but it happens.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I definitely wouldn't finish it off without the DWR's permission. They can get pretty touchy when it comes to the definition of poaching. You certainly would hate to loose your hunting priviledges for doing what you thought was the right thing.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:23 pm

Id like to see some pics if you get the chance. Let us know what happens, thats a sad deal. Probably happens a lot more than I know though unfortunately

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 am

Notenuf
Dont know where you got that idea thats the last thing on my mind :-k

To better define my question should I let the f and g know or just not worry about it, but ive already made up my mind ill just let mother nature run its course and just keep taking pictures , without bothering him of course ( Id love to see this buck make it!!) [-o<
pictures coming soon!!
WILD ANTLERS

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Theres been a little 3 point running around near my house and hes missing 1 leg. Seems to be getting around just fine. Just keep a eye on him and see if he starts to go down hill any more.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Wild Antlers wrote:Notenuf
Dont know where you got that idea thats the last thing on my mind :-k

To better define my question should I let the f and g know or just not worry about it, but ive already made up my mind ill just let mother nature run its course and just keep taking pictures , without bothering him of course ( Id love to see this buck make it!!) [-o<
pictures coming soon!!
I hope you didn't think that I was calling you a poacher. Your concern is well placed. I understood from your question that you were wondering if the right thing to do was to put the animal out of its misery. It sounds like youv'e made a decision that I would agree with. I see now that you were wondering if the DWR should put the animal down. I'm with you. Hope he makes it.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."