Utah Deer and Elk

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Utah Deer and Elk

Post by For The Love of It » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 am

I was wondering my father and I have been putting in for points in Utah for the last three years and I was wondering what your guys input is for what area would be the best to save up for. For deer we would be looking for a buck over the 170" mark and elk we would be looking for something over the 330" mark. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and in turn if you have any questions about NV units I can do my best to tell you what I know. Thanks

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Utah Deer and Elk

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:33 pm

Most Elk units if not all have bulls that caliber, shouldn't be to tough IMO. General area for Elk would be tougher, but the limited entry units have great bulls.

The 170 buck might be a bit more of a challenge. You talking General tags or Limited Entry tags?

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 pm

elk pretty much any limited entry unit will produce 330+ . go to the utah dwr site and dig thru you will find success rates of hunts and also draw odds.
and also id steer clear of oak creek personally,you a can kill a big bull but very tough.
for deer 170+, paunsaugaunt and henrys are the best bet but take long to draw!!!
i wouldnt just put in for points its possible to draw anytime. i drew moose last year with 1 pt and elk this year with 4 so you never know

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Yep most any LE elk unit holds that caliber of bulls. For deer the Henrys, Paunsagant, or maybe the Book Cliffs.

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 pm

+1 to Ox and JBird! I think the Paunsagaunt is better than the bookies for the deer and if I remember correctly tougher to get.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm

If you don't have a specific unit you want to hunt elk in I would find out which LE unit you could draw with the fewest points. For deer the The Henrys and Paunsagaunt are tops but it will take most of your life to draw. The Book Cliffs and Vernon unit produce good bucks.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae