Good morning hunting!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
DeadI

Good morning hunting!

Post by DeadI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Went up deer hunting this morning for the first time this year. I was a pretty good morning in my book, we saw about 5 elk (one spike and 4 cows) and had a bigger bull bugling, but we never saw him. Saw about 30 deer, one of wich is in the included video. I put a stalk on this buck, and had the does that were with him file through at about 30-35 yards, I was at full draw, but the buck never did come through, I have no idea were he went, looked all over but he disapeared on me I never did spook any of the deer that were around me so I don't know what happened. Oh well, made for an awsome morning putting a stalk on a good buck.
[huntersclips]45d727e1550fb680933f[/huntersclips]

While we were walking back to the truck, we came across this little shack, don't know what it was doing there but somebody has put a little time into building it. With the two drug farm locations in Toole being found this week, all sorts of weird thoughts start racing through the brain. "Did I just come apon someones drug hidout" it was build right on a main game trail. Not to the side of the trail, right smack dab on the trail. I don't see how it could have been someones ground blind. What do you guys think?
IMGP3071.JPG
IMGP3072.JPG
Deadi

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good morning hunting!

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Very odd on the Blind/slash drug hideout for sure. I'd report that if I were you, you have a look inside at all?

Sounds fun on the hunt, to bad the 4-point put the slip on ya. Looks like your coming through with that new video camera. 10sign:

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Thats kinda spooky with the drug gardens in the area. Does it look like its been there a while or just built. Either way, you better be cautious going into the area if it is a drug hide out. You dont want to get caught up with any of those people for sure.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

cwp
Spike
Spike

Post by cwp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:40 pm

That was a fun morning! Too bad on the buck he doubled back on you. Next time you should put your pistol on your hip just in case.......

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:07 pm

cwp wrote:That was a fun morning! Too bad on the buck he doubled back on you. Next time you should put your pistol on your hip just in case.......
T'is illegal bro....
Page 42 of the UT 2009 Big Game guidebook:

"If you obtain an archery permit, you may not possess or be in control of a firearm—or have a firearm in your camp or motor vehicle—during the archery hunt."

There are SOME exceptions that are made but for the most part its illegal
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:35 pm

It's been a couple years since I've been able to hunt in Utah and I haven't read the proclamation for a couple years either. This may be a subject that's been beat to death and if so my bad, also I hope this doesn't turn into completely changing the posts original topic, I'm just looking for a short answer to appease my curiosity; but... It seems like that would interfere with someones right to carry a concealed weapon (the whole not having a firearm in camp/on person during archery season) Is this one of the exceptions to the law or where has the state brought that issue? (assuming it has been brought up before.. I would have to imagine it has though)

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread DeadI. Unfortunately I can't watch video's here but big congrats on getting out and making some stalks! And I'm also curious, did you peak inside the hideout at all?

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

hound_hunter wrote:It's been a couple years since I've been able to hunt in Utah and I haven't read the proclamation for a couple years either...
Concealed/Carry permits are one of the exceptions...sorry

Im curious too to know if there was anything inside too DeadI. Wonder why it would be placed right there in the middle of the game trail also like you said...? And I didnt say this before but Nice Buck, hope I get to hear a story with that one. BTW, kinda looks like Settlement Canyon too, am I close??? heheheheh
-Cody-

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm

In utah if you have a concealed weapons permit you are allowed to carry a pistol on the archery hunt but you can not use if for taking your game animal that you are hunting (obviously).

We did look into the inside but all that was there was a camp chair, some cans and a tape measure. It was not there last year when I went walking through that exact same set of pines.

Yea Brett the camera is awsome. It is so easy to get the videos off of it. My problem now is not having the time to go spotting to get more videos.

The other problem is that when I take the video off the camera it is obviously huge, that one clip was 35 megs. Any ideas on how to make it smaller, I tried to take and put it into movie maker and save it as a smaller size but the dumb thing inserts the mpg as a audio file not a movie clip. It was making me mad.
Deadi

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:54 pm

code,
not even close on the guess, infact i have no idea were settlement canyon is. sorry man.
Deadi

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Dang, not even close... Oh well, good luck with your hunt anyway!
-Cody-