Spread Question

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Spread Question

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm

Just curious, when everyone posts pics or answers others' questions and mentions the spread, are ya'll giving the outside or inside spread? Me personally, if I say I saw a 26 incher, I'm always talking outside.

Me and a buddy always go back and forth on this b/c he likes to give inside spread. More than a couple of times, we've started arguing about how wide a deer is and then we realize we're talking about 2 different measurements and we actually agree on the spread! Anyway, just curious which measurement ya'll usually give when talkin' deer with your friends....

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Spread Question

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:28 pm

When talking to my friends or braggin' I always use the absolute widest outside spread. If there's a kicker, then I specify width with kicker and usually give a mainframe measurement as well. Don't know if that's correct, but it's what I do??? Maybe I'm not politically correct?----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Outside for me all the time.

BIGANTLERGETTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGANTLERGETTER » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 pm

i think its all about personal choice i give inside spread usually. but i do specify if the buck has a kicker i will say this wide with the greatest spread
Hunt til there is nothing to hunt, then go farther and hunt harder the big one will turn up

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:02 am

I personally try to use inside spread majority of the time because it is a big part of the score. Not that I care about score really it just helps me personally judge an animal better in my mind. To each his own though lol
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

southendguy
Spike
Spike

Post by southendguy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:12 am

Outside for me.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 am

When folks these days ask, "How wide is that buck".....simply put, they are asking about outside width, IMO. That's what I give them when describing the width on a buck. I've never really had anyone ask me what the "inside" spread was on a buck except on my Strip buck from last year.......and that was basically to see if it's inside spread was wider than the longest main beam.......which it was!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am

Outside.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 am

Bohuntr has it right. When someone asks what s the spread or how wide is he they want the greatest outside spread. Doesn't help your score but it gives an idea of the size of the antlers. People like to belong to the 30"+ club or the 200"+ club and a few lucky individuals are in both clubs with one buck.

Inside spread can be decieving. Inside spread is the greatest point between main beams. On my buck my main beams came straight up and then curved out. So my tip to tip spread and greatest inside spread ended up being the same measurement. Most bucks beams curve inwards so I gained a few inches there.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:18 am

We are always talking outside in my camp. I have not heard of anyone using inside. But we will mention main frame if the cheaters add more than 2 inches to the width.

B&C uses outside spread as well, right? It's part of the scoring system.

"C: GREATEST SPREAD
The greatest spread is measured between perpendiculars at a right angle to the center line of the skull at the widest part, whether across main beams or points. See Figure B."