Spread Question

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Spread Question

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 am

sewing wrote:We are always talking outside in my camp. I have not heard of anyone using inside. But we will mention main frame if the cheaters add more than 2 inches to the width.

B&C uses outside spread as well, right? It's part of the scoring system.

"C: GREATEST SPREAD
The greatest spread is measured between perpendiculars at a right angle to the center line of the skull at the widest part, whether across main beams or points. See Figure B."
I'm not an expert. Bohntr is an official measurer and can confirm what i'm about to write.

The first pen to paper entries on a B&C scoring sheet serve to identify your buck, but are not used in the measurement totals. (A) No. points right antler, (A) No. of points left antler, (B) tip to tip spread, and (C) greatest outside spread give a picture of your buck. The only spread measurement that actually increments the total inch score of the buck is the greatest inside spread. That is why it was significant that my bucks antler tips curved outward. The tip to tip spread became my greatest inside spread. Inside spread is limited by the length of your longest main beam. So a 40" wide monster with shallow front forks wouldn't score very well as the main beams would likely be 20"- 22" the spread credit would be limited by the 20 -22" instead of the 40" width.

If looking for a B&C buck look for mass with deep forks over width. Most BC typicals are going to be 28 - 30 wide with long main beams and deep front and backs, with heavy mass that carries all the way up the tines.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:46 am

Good to know. I have never gotten to that point, so I didn't know. Interesting.

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 am

Out West, I thought it was always outside. We talk about spread out West like everyone talks about weight in all the Whitetail areas. lol I always laugh when someone asks me how much my buck weighed. When I went to Alabama to hunt, I then understood. Thy gut their Deer at camp(Never in the field or by a stand) and usually weigh it. Anyway, didn't mean to get off topic.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL