Pack frame

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Pack frame

Post by m gardner » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 am

One thing you need to plan ahead for is water availability. I've hunted spots that I packed water into the week before because there was no suitable water for human consumption. You need to scout the area for your water souces beforehand. It's the heaviest item you'll need.
Mark

ShedObsession93
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ShedObsession93 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am

Thank you all for all the good advice i really appreciate it.

yak4fish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by yak4fish » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Lots of good backpack hunting tips on this thread. :thumb

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I did not read all the posts, so sorry if this is duplicate info.

Besides hunting specific stuff, the four most important things are your pack, sleeping bag, tent, and sleeping pad.

1. Pack: go to an outdoor store like REI and get fitted. Period. I don't recommend an external frame. They don't carry correctly and will be more work.
2. Get a good sleeping bag. Marmot is a great brand if you can't afford western mountaineering. Get one that is 700-800 fill down. Packs smaller and is lighter.
3. I like to get a 2 man tent that is around 4 pounds. They are out there.
4. A sleeping pad makes a huge difference and adds a lot of warmth/insulation. I like the thermarest blow up pads.

Boots may top others lists, but I use a pair of approach shoes and boots aren't a biggy for me.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:31 pm

As you can see, everyone has their own opinions when it comes to backpacks. I'm completely opposite of sewing except for getting fitted at a quality outdoor store like REI.

External frame packs are much more comfortable to me and carry much more weight than an internal frame, IMO. They carry VERY well if you know how to adjust it properly. I usually backpack a few times a year for the last 5-6 years.......sometimes for 10-12 day stints.......to carry that amount of gear and food, you'll need an external frame,IMO......and nothing packs boned out meat as well as an external frame as well.

I'm currently using a Kelty Tioga 5500 backpack. The entire pack weighs only 5 lbs which is far less than all others in it's class. I also suggest Marmot, Western Mountaineering, and other quality gear. I have a Marmot 2-man tent that weighs about 4 lbs.........but the last two years I've been using a Big Agnes SL1 tent, which is a very roomy one-man tent that only weighs 2 lbs. I also use the Big Agnes down bag and pad......both are VERY lightweight and pack the size of a football.

I have my 10-12 day archery hunts cut down to about 55 pounds now......most of which is food to last that long. 5-6 day trips could easily be 30 pounds or less. Quality gear is the key.....and generally you get what you pay for.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 am

A freighter pack frame can run from 79.00 to 400.00 depending on where you get it. I got a great one from Cabela's for 129.00, Bass Pro has a simialr frame for 89.00 I saw whwn I was in the Denver store a while back. A professional forestry supplier gets near 400.00 for a simialr frams. So shop wisely. The Cabela's I got has a blaze orange cover so ya dont get shot hauling your stuff. Good luck.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER