Venting about NM BLM Land!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Venting about NM BLM Land!

Post by westTXhunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

My in-laws have about 1000 acres and an allotment of 25,000 acres more of BLM land that they run cattle on in unit 31 of NM. We drew tags and my brother in law had seen a few deer on the river and things looked promising. We head out opening morning and there are atleast 25 dump trucks(starting this project on opening morning) running gravel to a new pad site for an oil well about 1/2 mile off the river and for about three miles. They were still at it when we left. My problem with this is they can't even stop for the five days for the hunting season. I can understand if you had a longer season but, when you only have five days that hurts. We only saw 7 does the whole trip. We hunted hard and walked alot of miles and we did have fun but, I felt that was the sportsman/hunter getting leftovers to the big money oil business. Sorry to vent.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Venting about NM BLM Land!

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:26 pm

I feel your pain, had a similar experience but not as bad as yours. It's frustrating, I was watching a big buck this year and BAM Power Lines and road comes blazing through 2 weeks before archery hunt, heck they still aren't done working on them last I checked.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 pm

That is a crappy deal sorry to hear you had to deal with that. :>/
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

doorgunner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by doorgunner » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Not trying to be a jerk, but you might try to make friends with those dump truck drivers. Chances are they they are observing what the deer are doing, based on their activity. I've learned a lot about deer movement from talking to oil field hands. They are out there everyday, and see what the deer are doing. You can't change what's going on, but you can be proactive, and it never hurts to talk to anyone who might be in a position to help you out.

Good luck to you, and I hope that you figure out a way to overcome this hurdle.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Not trying to be a jerk, but you might try to make friends with those dump truck drivers. Chances are they they are observing what the deer are doing, based on their activity. I've learned a lot about deer movement from talking to oil field hands. They are out there everyday, and see what the deer are doing. You can't change what's going on, but you can be proactive, and it never hurts to talk to anyone who might be in a position to help you out.

+1 Good post
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

westTXhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by westTXhunter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:35 pm

doorgunner wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, but you might try to make friends with those dump truck drivers. Chances are they they are observing what the deer are doing, based on their activity. I've learned a lot about deer movement from talking to oil field hands. They are out there everyday, and see what the deer are doing. You can't change what's going on, but you can be proactive, and it never hurts to talk to anyone who might be in a position to help you out.

I would say that is a given when you hunt the oil fields(talking to people). The dump truck drivers got paid by the load and they weren't slowing down. We asked anybody that would stop and talk. My brother inlaw had seen deer about 1/4 of a mile where the pad was being built. There wasn't a deer in that valley all week. Thanks for trying to help but, it was just bad timing. Welcome to the Forum.