Wyoming Region G

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
sstevens
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming Region G

Post by sstevens » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:11 pm

I drew a mule deer tag for Wyoming Region G this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations on good towns to stay in (brother wants to stay in a motel) that is centrally located to a good amount of public hunting? Kemmerer and Big Piney are two places that we are looking at.

My current high power rifle is a 30-30 that I used to take a mule deer around Casper last year. Will this gun work for Region G or are most shots > 200 yards in this mountain terrain? Finally does anyone have any recommendations for trout fishing spots, if we fill our tags in time we will try and do some fishing before we head back to Iowa.

waynedevore

Re: Wyoming Region G

Post by waynedevore » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:23 am

Sstevens, Welcome, You sure enough found the place to talk Muley.
Region "G" is a good draw, Congrats!
Small town WY might be hard finding Motel vacancy's during the deer season. Bigger towns in that area have lots of lodging.
There are many better choices for out west hunting then the 30-30.
However, plenty of Mule Deer are shot at close range. Bowhunters get close. So if your comfortable with the 30-30, you know it's limitations. Why not?
Lots of trout fishing out there, almost any year around stream. Good Luck.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 am

As it happens, I live in Region G. You might try Afton or Cokeville or the Flying Saddle or Bull moose Saloon in Alpine. Also the Alpine Motel.

The Greys River, Little Greys River, Snake River, and Salt river all run through the west side of Region G and are all World Class trout streams. If you get a chance to fish, you won't be disappointed.

The 30-30 is certainly adequate for mule deer but surely isn't my first choice. If you handload, you can load pointed bullet, and put a scope on the rifle and then ONLY LOAD THE MAGAZINE WITH ONE ROUND, plus the one in the chamber gives you a two shooter. This will add to the 30-30s capability quite a bit. If not, I'd personally go find a Stevens 200 in 308 or 270 or 30-06 or some other longer range caliber. They can usually be found on Sale at Academy Sports or Sports Authority or the like for about $250. The Stevens 200 is the pre accutrigger Savage 110.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... 00%20SHORT
The link takes you to the short actions but there are long actions available. Don't sweat that MSRP either. Like I said, you can find them on sale at the big retailer for nearly half that.
I personally use a Stevens 200 with a 250 Savage barrel or 308 barrel screwed to it. It just depends on if elk season is also in at the same time I'm hunting muleys.
Stupidity is expensive

sstevens
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sstevens » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've heard that it's quite a bit of driving from most motels to the hunting areas in this region so maybe I will try to convince my brother to pull the camper out. I will look into the stevens high power, that would be a cost effective solution.

Does anyone have a favorite camo pattern for this type of terrain? How about boots? I need a new pair of boots before hunting season anyway. I'm afraid if I buy a pair that is good for here in Iowa they maybe be too heavy for western Wyoming.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 am

The motels in Alpine are only about 5 min drive from the National forest. After that, it's just a question of where do you want to stop and hunt. You can pull your camper up the Greys River road, but camping spots can be a little hard to come by, lots of people up there camping and hunting then. You'll be able to find a spot, but there is quite a bit of competition for the "best" spots.

I don't get too hung up on camo. I usually wear jeans or my "chocolate chip" BDUs. Something light colored and open with an emphasis on grey and tan would be my best suggestion.

It's not usually too cold around here at that time of the year, so you don't need really heavy boots. I'm looking for boots right now myself. What I'm looking for is 400grm thinsulate, airbob soles, 6 to 8 inch high. Preferably not camoflage ( I just think camo boots look silly ) And WATERPROOF! My experience has been that airbob soles work best in the varied terrain around here. They grip the slick mud pretty good and don't clog the tread pattern. They grip pretty good in the snow, and they are ok on rocks. They aren't all that good on wet, slippery rocks or ice, but we don't see too much of that anyway.

By the way, the Alpine Motel is actually named the Three Rivers Motel. All of those motels usually run rooms for about $60 a night at that time of year.
Stupidity is expensive

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:25 pm

I am not familiar with region g,but I do have a piece of advice my friend has a 30/30 and he switched to hornady leverevolution ammo and it is awesome!I agree..know your range,and limit yourself to it..You don't have to have a 300 win mag or shoot 500+ yds..Like waynedevore said bowhunters can do it!Good luck!!I hear region G is a prized region...Please come back with pics of the land,your mulie,and some fish!

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 am

I stayed at the Alpine Inn in Alpine WY. They had affordable 2 bedroom cabins with kitchens for about $80-90 i think. I would then drive about 20 miles down the Greys River to hunt. This would take about an hour. That country is beautiful, but rugged. If you don't have a horse you have to hike your butt off.

sstevens
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sstevens » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks again for the posts! I appreciate the help and comments. There sure is plenty of research involved!

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:33 pm

I hunted it with some buddies two years ago and I'm hopin to draw it next year! We stayed in Cokeville, good place. And the hams fork isn't too far away to go get some good fishing in.
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

pokymuleys
Fawn
Fawn

Post by pokymuleys » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:38 pm

I live in Kemmerer, and there are some good places to stay if you ask me, except i dont know how close it is to your hunt area. PM me if you have any more questions. Thurman