Are You Lame?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
OregonEric
Spike
Spike

Post by OregonEric » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:54 am

You shouldn't have a hard time finding deer in unit 70, I am just a little purplexed on how you got your tags 3 months before everybody else. In the beattys butte unit you can either hunt the blm bordering private alphalfa pivits, or stranglely enough, go hunt on the butte itself. I think this is a sleeper unit that the portland people dont harrass too much. It produces some whales. Its a good choice.

As for the other question, the steens area had a big die off in the early 90's and has not fully recovered since. A few years ago the ODFW cut the number of tags from 600ish to 300ish and did away with the doe hunt. That is a bad sign, although by now the numbers may be increasing. Four wheelers are everywhere in that unit. It is a extremly beautiful unit with some tough terrian if thats what youre looking for. If you draw it, find moon flat on your map and hunt the aspens in that area. The trophy class deer are much harder to find, it is turning into a regular unit with a inflated reputation.
Trout creeks have also experienced a decline in numbers. Years ago people drove from all around the country to hunt that area. Its fairly open and there are still some huge deer there. This year there will be 53 tags and with 7 points you have 0% of drawing. It will take four more years. Do you muzzleloader hunt? the most primo muzldr tag in the USA is in the Juniper unit and there has been a %85 four point plus harvest there for the last ten years straight. You are more or less hunting refuge deer. It is the best trophy hunt in Oregon, and although it will take 2-3 more years it is well worth it. If I had seven points I would be waiting. but if you decide to hunt the steens please contact me I can help as I know the unit very well and can almost tell you what rock to sit on.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:37 am

:D to get back on the topic of this post, man i love this website, it is the best one that i have bookmarked as a favorite. however, i am like most everyone else, i do not know why it has not taken off like a few others that i go to on a daily bases. i prefer muley madness to any other one as the people of this forum are polite, knowledgable, and listen to what you have to say. i recently made a post to another forum and before i knew it i had like 25 replies from people that were mad at me for speaking my mind. i hate someone asks for my opinion and then jumps down my throat when it is not exactly what they want to hear. needless to say i pretty much drug up on that website and won't be going there again anytime soon. the thing that i hate the most isn't the fact that alot of people don't see things the way i do, it is the fact when someone asks me a question and before they even read my entire reply they are jumping to conclusions. anyhow, this website rules and we all should do whatever to jumpstart it.
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:28 pm

WYMULEYMAN, I don't know if everyone else is like me but I just don't have the time to spend on the computer every day. I agree that this site is great and I fully intend on supporting it as long as I can (I am in the military and could very well find myself deploying were access to a computer is impossible). Couple that with the fact that I have a wife and five little deamon spawn running around makes for very little free time for me. I try to hit the site once a day, schedule permitting, but I certainly can't do much more than that. Sure wish I can but I'm being realistic here.
Like you, it would be nice if we had more "action" in this forum but I also don't mind the way it's ran now. I can check it when I have time, post to the topics that I find interesting or I have knowledge of, and checking back for replies next time I'm online.
MORE POWER TO YA THOUGH MY FRIEND! If you can get people on here more often and also get them to be more proactive then you have my vote!

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:53 pm

well i try to be on and update my topics but somedays its just not possible. i go to school and then work but also have horses and others animals to take care of so when i am on im on reall late like tonite. you all do a good job at the replies and are very imformative and not everyone agrees with some of my opinions but we all have our own opinions.
Happy Trails

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:18 am

:) It is pretty nice because i work for a architectual company so i live on my computer! i check the forums like twice a day and sometimes more. i can't get enough of it. i spend my days wishing it was hunting season and the rest of the time i spend my days checking this and other websites about hunting. im addicted, lock me up and throw away the key. i am a dangerous man, all i think about is hunting. ooohhhhhhhh well, guess it is better then spending my time doing other things. anyway, it is great the people that are here at this site. i like the fact that it is limited amounts of people talking back and forth, when i check out my other favorites they have alot more people replying but they also have people that are with peta and other tree hugging groups! I DON"T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, it is just that they get these topics going that pretty much have nothing to do with hunting and when they do they are only for the sole purpose of bashing one or more people. the one thing i do like about one of these other sites is that they actually have some woman that reply back and forth. that is great man, there is nothing better than a girl that knows her hunting! :D :D :D but some of the guys on this site bash them because they are females. i don't get it. but any ways, just keep up when you can, i understand that not everyone is blessed with as much computer time as me. and agchawk, good luck and thanks for fighting for me and everyone else that is not in the military and also good luck with the ankle biters.

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:50 pm

Well i have got some extra time today and so i thought i would check up on my posts. I've never been to another hunting site and i just stumbled upon this one and it has treated me well. Ya, there isn't much women on here but i do see a few pics with women in them and i believe a woman can know just as much as a man can if not more. Each person has a right to voice their opinion and we should all be glad they are sharin info. with us and we might can learn some stuff off of em. Hey Utah is a pretty awesome hunting state and i would like to hunt wyoming as well if not more states and my dream hunt is to go up to alaska for some reall back country huntin. Well thanks for keepin up been nice havin soembody replyin.
Happy Trails

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:43 am

WYMULEYMAN, thanks. Although, I have more problems with the kids than I do with the military!

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:30 am

Danthe 2pointmuleyman:

that is also my dream, to one day go to alaskaor canada and hunt four or five different species of animals on a month or two trip. although i think alaska and canada have got a pretty good selection of animals to hunt, i would definetly have to hunt a big ole' northern muley, man everytime i see a picture of a northern muley i can't believe how freakin big they are, the body size is just unreal.

agchawk:

i have not been blessed with kids yet, but look forward to the day, although i am enjoying the single life. look at it like this, at least you have someone to teach all your hunting skills too, and soon you will have a best hunting buddy. as i know who my best hunting buddy is, although my dad and i don't hunt together much, he will always be my favorite hunting parntner and i owe all my knowledge to him.