utah proposed shed hunting change

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Re: utah proposed shed hunting change

Post by proutdoors » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:24 pm

The Ox wrote:im not complaing about lack of big bucks only also the overcrowding :))
What overcrowding? I started hunting in the early 1980's when there where 240,000 hunters in the field. What you face today is a drop in the bucket! I never heard anyone complaining about overcrowding then, maybe people knew how to get away from the crowds back then. A saying a was told in a political science class goes, "Be careful what you ask for unless you know ALL the scenarios that will arise as a direct result of the desired change(s)". Hunters would be wise to heed that saying when asking for fewer hunters in the field. That WILL result in lower hunter recruitment/retention which WILL hurt hunter opportunity for all hunters, reducing the number of hunters in 'your' area may mean YOU sit at home while an 'outsider' hunts 'your' area, lost revenue to the DWR unless tag prices increase thus pricing many out of the sport resulting in even more lost hunter recruitment/retention, are a few that WILL occur if what you wish for were to be implemented.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:38 pm

well with you saying that, about more hunters in the 80s.it made me think about what makes the over crowded feeling!possibly the atvs! no matter where you go there is an atv trail and people blazing back and forth along those trials. everywhere i go i hear 4 wheelers. so maybe it didnt feel as crowded becuase you could not tell there were 80000 people around you becuase the atvs were eliminated? and maybe its becuase there were more deer!!!!! making people spread out more becuase there were deer in areas that there are not now days... so i dunno maybe i am arguing the wrong point. i just think something needs to change! and for whatever reasons the deer herds seem to get worse every year so i suggested what i did(it seems to work for nevada!). i disagree with a some of your points but you have some good ones as well. and nevadas deer herd sure seems to be doing better and producing bigger bucks than utahs. yes there are some dandies here but i talk to a lot of people that hunt both states and nevada by far has more quality bucks thatn here

HUNTIN FOR LIFE
2 point
2 point

Post by HUNTIN FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 pm

The Ox
and nevadas deer herd sure seems to be doing better and producing bigger bucks than utahs. yes there are some dandies here but i talk to a lot of people that hunt both states and nevada by far has more quality bucks that here
It just depends on which unit you drew in Nevada on whether there are bigger bucks in Nevada. also your odds in Nevada are not as good to hunt every year then Utah. every year in Utah i hunt general deer archery, muzzy and rifle and every season i see at least a 180 class buck or bigger. and during the archery hunt i usually see 6 or 8 bucks that are over 180. i would consider a 180 buck a trophy animal in almost every hunters eyes.
The Ox
so i dunno maybe i am arguing the wrong point. i just think something needs to change! and for whatever reasons the deer herds seem to get worse every year
you seem to be for changing to better the deer herds, but since they want to change something in the shed season and require a short little free test online before you can shed hunt for a 4 month period. it may not affect the deer were you shed hunt but i know of many places that ive shed hunted and there are deer still in that area.
INSANITY! Is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result!

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:42 pm

The Ox wrote:you seem to be for changing to better the deer herds, but since they want to change something in the shed season and require a short little free test online before you can shed hunt for a 4 month period. it may not affect the deer were you shed hunt but i know of many places that ive shed hunted and there are deer still in that area.
no its the fact that i dont wanna have to have a permit to shed hunt! it wont be free for long they are always trying to find new ways to get more money. shed hunting should not need a permit!!! its just one more way they try to control what we do. i really dont think its going to change anyones point of view by taking a course. everyone that is a serious shed hunter knows plenty about those animals and they are going to continue shed hunting the way they did! and there are a few people out there that do some major damge to things but not every shed hunter harasses the animals. and the people that are spoiling it for the others are not gonna take that class seriously. its just not gonna do any good!it just frustrates me!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:25 am

Personally I beleive that this is a great proposition in the area I hunt in. As long as the dwr enforces it, this would really help the herds where I live. I also think that if everyone who professes to be a hunter just used common sense and put as little preassure on game as possible until the hunt then the dwr wouldn't have to think about doing things like this. It can be frustrating being a responsible sportsman but if we all stay persistant our game numbers will come back and we will have pleanty more hunting oppertunities in the future.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:45 am

Ox, you're a good guy but I'm with the others on this one.

I was hunting in a controlled hunting unit in Idaho this year. The small, back-country road I took into the Salmon River breaks was only 11 miles long yet was posted in at least 8 different spots "Motorized vehicles not authorized off established road." My brother and I were the ONLY hunters in that valley that weekend yet I saw 4 wheeler tracks ALL OVER the lower hillsides. It was very obvious that judging by the vegetation/soil in these tracks, they were made in the late spring. It was also obvious by the "grid pattern" made by these tracks that they were hunting SOMETHING. I was not there but I've been around the block a few times and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that they were shed hunting. Now, this was approximately 6 months later and the tracks were still VERY EVIDENT. IMO, it looked ugly and scared the land. Additionally, the area is a major wintering ground for both deer and elk and I can only imagine how many animals, already tired and weary from last year's winter (which was pretty bad snow-wise), were chased outta there by these folks.

Personally, I like what Utah is doing here and wish the two states I hunt in, WA and ID, would do the same. Keeping folks out of wintering grounds and allowing the wildlife to recover from the harsh winters peacefully is a great idea IMO. I'm not sure where it hurts folks that want to collect shed antlers either.

I do want to point out before folks start flaming this that I am NOT lumping shed hunters with folks that disobey motorized vehicle regulations. I am aware that not all shed hunters utilize ATVs and that I have no proof that the tracks that I refered to were made by shed hunters. I am just posting my thoughts on the two subjects since they seem to have been lumped together in this thread.

canyonhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by canyonhunter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 am

I think they mean the people who drive around on their four wheelers chasing the deer around until they shed their antlers. I have watched shed hunters on their four wheelers drive about 1 foot from sheds that are on top of sage brush.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:20 pm

I dont quite understand what your saying? This proposal is for anybody who wants to pick up a shed in the early spring. If im not quite understanding you correcty im sorry.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Man, looks like i have missed out on all the fun here....that's what i get for being an "enviromentalist"!!
LMHO!!!

Give up Cody, don't waste anymore energy, he obvioulsy isn't getiing it.

Ox-
I'm terribly sorry that you have to take 20 minutes out of your presious time to take a course that may "educate" you a little bit and help protect YOUR resource.
Keep in mind that you have been getting a "freebie" on being able to collect these sheds.
You have to obtain a permit for taking ANY "wildlife or their parts"....as stated in the proclomation...........Antlers are "parts".

And if you'd open your mind a little bit and see that these new regulations are to target the "unethical" behavoir during these crital times for our wildlife, you MAY be able to condone these laws a little bit and thank us for them so that YOU can still enjoy your sport for many years to come.

If you are such a great sportsman and shed hunting enthusiest like your claiming, embrace this instead of fighting it, it's there for YOU!!

OR.......you can bash it, fight it, cuss it and be a lawbreaker like the many out there that have caused this, and help take away the sport all together, it's your choice.
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:50 pm

canyonhunter wrote:I think they mean the people who drive around on their four wheelers chasing the deer around until they shed their antlers. I have watched shed hunters on their four wheelers drive about 1 foot from sheds that are on top of sage brush.
What?!?!?!? Do folks REALLY do that?
Canyonhunter, this law/regulation is meant for all shed hunters.