Snow level about 8000' in Star Valley WY
Two weeks to deer season!
Stupidity is expensive

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: snow on the mountain

Post by ridgetop » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Fall is about here. =D> It's just a little bit nippy here in Grantsville tonight.
There's always next year

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:23 pm

You have NO idea how good that looks to me after the summer we have been having! :not-worthy
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

bene12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bene12 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Im an avid back country hunter in Northern Arizona, this will be my first Wyoming back country hunt, I have hiked Wyoming in the early summer but never in the middle of Sept, what kind of weather can I expect in Region H? What kind of temps at night and Morning. By the look of things I can already guess a little bit. Thanks guys

Mark

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Great pic man! I think most of us are getting that "itch." Your pic does nothing but aggrevate that itch! :)

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:36 am

Every year, A blizzard with heavy snow, wind and very cold temps rolls out across WY by mid Oct.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:14 am

This picture was taken in region G which is roughly the same as far as topography and weather patterns go. This is the season of change. One day it's 85 and dry, the next its 65 and wet or dry. This morning the temp was 31. It could just as easily have been 50 or 25. Dress in layers, add and remove as needed. Bring a 30° sleeping bag and a silk bag liner to use as needed. I'm sorry I can't give more definitive answers but these mountains make their own weather. Especially this time of year.
Stupidity is expensive

bene12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bene12 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:17 pm

I live in Northern Arizona and we get the exact same weather, we had the swamp cooler on two days ago with 90 degrees and I almost had to turn the heater on last night. Thanks for the advice. It doesn't sound like there are a lot of deer but Im thinking of going into the snake river mountain range just east of palisades reservoir, I hear it is pretty rugged and I may not have to see to many guys, is that true?

Thanks again
Mark

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:47 pm

It is very rugged in there. It is one of only two Mountain Goat zones in the state of Wyoming if that tells you anything. There is very little road access but there are a couple of outfitter camps around the periphery. You likely won't see too many people in there, but like most public areas, there always seems to be someone else who had the same idea you did. You have to watch exactly where you are up there, the Idaho/Wyoming border runs through there. You don't want to be on the wrong side of that.
Stupidity is expensive

Tysum
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tysum » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm

bene12 wrote:Im an avid back country hunter in Northern Arizona, this will be my first Wyoming back country hunt, I have hiked Wyoming in the early summer but never in the middle of Sept, what kind of weather can I expect in Region H? What kind of temps at night and Morning. By the look of things I can already guess a little bit. Thanks guys

Mark
Mark, I am from Chandler & I hunt region H as well. First off, you are going to love it! Way better then anything we have down here! I have been having trouble sleeping at night as it gets closer to going up there. Just like the others said, dress in layers you never know what could happen. 2 years ago we were roasting on opening day with like 75 temps, but then other times it can snow that early. It looks like we are going to have nice weather between 25-60.

Are you going in on foot or horses? Good luck!