Preference Points

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
devinandmissy
Fawn
Fawn

Preference Points

Post by devinandmissy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:59 pm

I am currently in school and dont have the time or the money to do a lot of hunting but was wondering about buying points in several different states over the next few years. Are there any states where you dont have to apply for a tag to buy a point? What will a point cost in most states? Can I buy multiple points? Is there a web site that compairs the different systems? Thanks

scott63
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Preference Points

Post by scott63 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 pm

You can buy a pref point in Wyoming, go to the website try looking in frequently asked questions. I think you apply for the pref point in aug or sept, and its 30 dollars if I remember correctly......Scott

Yeah just looked it up: Application "Form 30" is for pref point only and is available online June 15, application period is July 1-Sept 30 or you can call 307-777-4600.....

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Great question, I'll be checking the thread to learn about how to accumulate points in other states, too.
For Utah, the application period is Feb. 1 thru March 10, 2011 for preference/bonus points. The cost is $10 for application fee, but you also have to have a valid Utah Hunting license ($65) or Combination license ($80) to fill out the application.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

devinandmissy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by devinandmissy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks,

What states do you not need pay for a licence to buy points? I know WY you dont and UT you do. What about AZ, CO, MT, WA, OR, NV. I know ID dosent do a points system and I have heard that NM dosent either.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 am

To get a point, you must buy a license in California, Nevada, and Oregon. I know because I buy them every year. Hard to swallow sometimes but tht is the hunting world that we live in.------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:00 am

I am not sure if you can buy a point only for Colorado because I pay the full permit fee to draw every year and get all refunds except for about 30 for my point.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 pm

skysthelimit wrote:I am not sure if you can buy a point only for Colorado because I pay the full permit fee to draw every year and get all refunds except for about 30 for my point.
You can buy just a point, but you still need to submit the entire tag fee. After the draw you will get a refund of everything but the cost of the point.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:27 pm

devinandmissy wrote:Thanks,

What states do you not need pay for a licence to buy points? I know WY you dont and UT you do. What about AZ, CO, MT, WA, OR, NV. I know ID dosent do a points system and I have heard that NM dosent either.
For sure Arizona, Oregon, Utah, and Nevada. Like you said, Idaho doesn't have points but if you want to apply you need to buy a license. Wyoming you don't, but the cost of each point is very high. ($100 sheep, $75 moose, $50 elk, $40 deer, & $30 antelope.) As a nonresident of both Utah & Wyoming, if I wanted points for every species, Utah is cheaper. Even with having to buy a license.

It's hard to build points in any state without spending a few hundred dollars each year. The cheapest is probably Colorado, if you can temporarily part with the money.

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Wyoming would be $120 for deer, elk, and antelope. Utah would be $95. The difference is you could draw a good antelope tag in a year or two in WY. Elk and deer maybe 3-5 years or longer depending on the unit you want. Utah with all the changes recently like non-residents being able to apply for everything and the new changes to limited entry in the future you could wait 10-15 years. IMO if you don't already have some points in states like Arizona and Utah it can be very expensive to buy a license every year for such low draw odds unless you hunt some of their general tags anyway. If I had to choose I would pick WY and CO.

scott63
Fawn
Fawn

Post by scott63 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Actually, I'd be suprised if you didn't draw an antelope tag every time. When I put in for deer I always get it on the second app, so that would mean with one point I get drawn for the area I want. Some areas have more applicants of course.

Keep in mind if you're intending to hunt a wilderness area you MUST have a guide....Scott