Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Wyoming Winter

Post by MNHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Hey everyone

Greetings from Minnesota. Just thought I would ask to see how the winter has been in Wyoming this year. I had heard some rumors that it might get kind of ugly out there and that there might be trouble for the deer. I decided to put in for a different area this year, hunted the last 2 years in the Bighorns, and decided to try my luck down in the south central this year, hoping that the deer have rebounded from the 07-08 winter kill.

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Re: Wyoming Winter

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Wyoming has had a rough winter, but then all the western states have been slammed hard with snow. It is true the deer have been hit hard this winter.. was one of the worst winters in a long time.

MNHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MNHunter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 am

That is what I was afraid of. Have there been many instances of winter kill so far?

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 am

I talked to a guide buddy of mine a couple of days ago and he said the old bucks are getting hit pretty good. he said luckily the prime bucks are staying afloat. He said its a crucial time right now for the animals, they need a break and some warm weather. Lets hope they get it because I am planning on chasing muleys up with him this fall.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm

The game and fish department is doing emergency elk feeding in the jackson and afton areas if that tells you anything.
Stupidity is expensive

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 am

I hunt western wyoming every year. I would like to know more about what people are saying about the winter. Any one else know anything?

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 am

We've got winter on the downhill. I live in SE Wyoming and our winter has been a little colder and snowier than normal, but no winterkill to speak of. Most of the lower elevation areas are open now and we'll get more snow, but it won't last long. The deer look fine and even the antelope came through well. Western Wyoming and the area around Baggs and even parts of the upper North Platte Valley got hit pretty hard. I just checked the snowpack and the Upper North Platte is still at 130% of normal, which is the highest in Wyoming.

But for the most part, we have been OK. The wildlife here in the southeast part of Wyoming look fine.

BoneHunter85
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BoneHunter85 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 am

Sorry guys little late on the reply heads up on the central region as far as snow and winter kill. Deer are lookin good and been seeing lots of bucks, got hit with snow up high but lots of rain down low have not heard much on winter kill yet. Hope the info helps a little bit