New guy needs advice

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Huntingfanatic
Fawn
Fawn

New guy needs advice

Post by Huntingfanatic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm

After 33 years as a coach I am hanging up my whistle. With my coaching career coming to a close I plan on spending a lot of time hunting out west. I am starting to plan a mule deer hunt and would like to hunt from the end of August until about Sept 15 before the elk rut. Im currently looking in Colorado but will be applying in other states as well. I am aware of high country above timberline and willow basins and if I can draw a unit that has those that would be great. My question is if above timberline is not an option what would be your second choice of habitat to hunt mule deer in that early September time frame. I want to make it clear I am not asking about anyone's spots. At least half the fun is doing the research. This is simply a habitat question. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning a lot on this forum.

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Re: New guy needs advice

Post by kchesley » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Don't know the areas in Colorado well, but I can tell you if you know someone that has property between Rifle and Craig that is the spot. I drive truck every week through there and there are hundreds of deer and elk (Mainly north of Meeker). Alot of nice, big bucks. Although they are down low in sage brush and on ranch meadows. Someone with knowledge will chime in.
Last edited by kchesley on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Utah's archery season runs through that same time frame. Tags are fairly easy to come by and there's a chance to kill a good buck. I usually hunt around 9000ft in the aspens and pines. Good luck.

Curtisshootsdeer
2 point
2 point

Post by Curtisshootsdeer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

looks like these are guys that know their stuff
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Genesis 27:3 King James Version

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 pm

What part of Colorado are you wanting to hunt? I've seen so many nice bucks around Montrose and Gunnison as well as in between Rifle and Craig. There are alot of Colorado hunters on here that will help just be patient.