Texas mule deer

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Texas mule deer

Post by Wild Antlers » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm

anyone know any areas near plano texas you can hunt muleys Im going to miss the archery hunt here in utah so I was hoping to get a muley tag and whitail tag this summer any info is much appreciated !
Thanks
WILD ANTLERS

ABert

Re: Texas mule deer

Post by ABert » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Not 100% on this but I don't think you'll find any mule deer near Plano. Unless I'm thinking Plano is another part of the state. Texas mulies are in the western part of the state and I believe Plano is central.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Judaville
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Judaville » Mon May 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Abert is correct. There are no muleys near Plano. If you drive a coouple hours to the Northwest to the Panhandle you sill find them. Good Luck!

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 pm

The Tx hunting and fishing licenses run from august to august. A few weeks after you purchase your licence in aug the state sends you a book you pick public hunts out of. I think you can put in for three draws for the next hunting year, not for the year you just purchased your licencse for. The mule deer hunts are really your only chance to get one on public land. If you read about all these draw hunts they are 90% hand held(guided) or sit in a shooting house or both. Almost all are only two hunts. There is Very very very little public land in Tx. Best bet is find someone
that might let you hunt on there land. Good luck.

182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Thu May 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey Wild Anlters,
I'm new to the boards, but I know quite a bit about hunting in Texas. As mentioned before, there are definitely no mule deer around the Plano area. There are a few up in the panhandle, which is not exactly right around the corner, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a "trophy" mule deer (170"+) up there. There are some big whitetails up there though! Your best bet is to head to the western part of the state for mule deer...Brewster County, Culberson County, Presidio County...somewhere around there. My avatar is a pic of a buck I killed this past season in Presidio County.

Also, like others mentioned, the public land hunting in Texas is few and far between. Private land is definitely the way to go. If you ask around, you may be able to get permission to hunt on someone's land, however more than likely you will have to pay for a package hunt or a lease. I know this isn't the ideal situation, but there are some monsters in TX if you go to the right place. My best friend killed a 216" off the same ranch as mine 2 years earlier! Good luck and welcome to Texas!

gcox98
Fawn
Fawn

Post by gcox98 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

That is a nice Texas muley