Wyoming region D

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
southendguy
Spike
Spike

Wyoming region D

Post by southendguy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:29 pm

I have a deer tag for region D in Wyoming. I have seen a few posts on here and some other places about this area, but I am wondering if anyone has any info on the deer in the seminoe area. I realize that the deer numbers are down, and that most people don't want to share their secret spots, but any info will help.
I worked in Rawlins for a few months this spring, and went exploring everytime that I had any time off, so I have a basic knowledge of the area. I saw a few bucks here and there, but when I left, I didn't have the tag, so I didn't go specific scouting.
Any tips will be welcomed. Thanks.

Larry
2 point
2 point

Re: Wyoming region D

Post by Larry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

I've seen some good bucks that have come out of the area around Seminoe but have never hunted it. There sould be good antler growth this year and that herd did not take near the beating the deer did to the south of there 2 years ago. Wish I could be of help to ya.
I know my spellings bad!

southendguy
Spike
Spike

Post by southendguy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for the input! I need to get some good maps to determine private land, but I will get it figured out. I like the idea of hunting more open country, it is a lot like where I hunt in eastern Oregon. Any other input will be welcomed. Thanks again.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:53 am

I will be hunting Region E again this fall. Next to D to the North and West. Much the same type hunting I think. The Mulies are in the rougher country and the mountains. Lots of public land.

Larry
2 point
2 point

Post by Larry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:50 am

Go to any BLM office or order the maps on line. also check the wyo G&F walk on areas in that area.
I know my spellings bad!

SouthernWyo
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SouthernWyo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:27 am

Your options are pretty limited around Seminoe. Everything west of Seminoe Reservoir and the North Platte River is limited quota unit 87 so you can't hunt that on a region D tag. Everything east of the reservoir itself is checkerboard and owned by Q Creek Land and Livestock which outfits and I don't belive they offer any trespass type hunts. There is some limited public access to the Bennetts northeast of Seminoe as well as Shirley Mountain, but the land pattern is really jumbled so make sure you know where you are to avoid trespassing.

southendguy
Spike
Spike

Post by southendguy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks again for the info. I will be calling game and fish, and also getting some more maps to avoid trespassing.

loser
Fawn
Fawn

Post by loser » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:25 pm

Ya, be sure to stay out of the limited quota areas like was mentioned above........

southendguy
Spike
Spike

Post by southendguy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:54 pm

I will probably hunt the southern part in the mountains around Saratoga, to begin with. That part opens earlier and I am planning on being there for the opener. I will continue doing research on private land and access. Thanks for all of the info so far.

tejashunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tejashunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 pm

it is nice to see that someone else on the forum is hunting region D. we are headed up next friday and will be south of you in the area between Saratoga and Laramie. Have you had any luck with contacting the wildlife bioligist for the area?