Sheep Herding

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Loafer
3 point
3 point

Sheep Herding

Post by Loafer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:50 pm

I have been out scouting for deer and found a couple herds of sheep in the area. The deer were fairly spread out but still saw a couple decent bucks. I talked to a herder who said the deer will stay fairly close to the herds due to the minerals they put out for the sheep. I was thinking the opposite due to the amount of predators that would be in the area and the presence of dogs and the herders. Has anyone noticed how the deer generally respond to the presence of the sheep, how far they move and how fast, or if they return?
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Sheep Herding

Post by BIG R » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

My experience has been that sheep push the deer out of the area,due to the dogs and the amount of noise the sheep make IMO.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:47 pm

BIG R wrote:My experience has been that sheep push the deer out of the area,due to the dogs and the amount of noise the sheep make IMO.
+1, i dont know if it's the dogs-noise-herders-lack of grazing- i dont know, but i do notice a redustion of animals.

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Interesting that you were able to have a discussion with the herder; last encounter I had was my uncle trying to simulate an elk, not a ver good actor LOL, that was before I knew Spanish. I can not image that the herd would help, dogs would be #1 reason and just the fact that in my experience the deer usually have a pretty good size home range, so they feel comfortable in many places so if one is taken they would just change their pattern a little bit. I do not recall ever having seen any wildlife around the range maggots personally. The sheep herders certainly are a golden resource and are usually very eager to talk to anyone especially if they have info that you want; they should know where a lot of the wildlife are. Good luck!