Swap hunt?

Talk related to anything & everything.
IndianaBooner
Spike
Spike

Swap hunt?

Post by IndianaBooner » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 am

Does anyone on here want to hunt Whitetail's or Eastern turkey?

love to hunt Mulies somewhere out west

Just thought I'd ask

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:24 am

Indianabooner, sounds like a good opportunity. If I were you I would just plan a trip and go. Start now for 08. Or put in for leftover tags. WY will likely have some. Montana may have some, because there's always some that drop out of the draw for various reasons. Some states have over the counter.

I apply for MT and WY annually and always get one or the other, often both.
If you do your homework there's plenty of places to hunt. Good Luck.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:34 pm

i'ed love to hunt whitetails and turky

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:34 pm

well before i reply i'll say this isn't my opinion i just seen it on another forum and this thread reminded me of it but----------------- Did you know it's illegal to do the swap hunt deal, apparently states consider it illegal outfitting, taking someone hunting and getting something in return [ another hunting trip] i don't know all the details hopefully someone,AGCHAWK,he's good at getting the dirt on things :) , can give more input. like i said this is not my opinion, i personally think it's o.k. and a good way to meet new hunting buddies. but it just reminded me of it so i thought i would share.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:07 pm

thats strange i thought it allwas been allowed. people swap hunts all the time

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:27 pm

Killerbee,

It CAN be illegal, depending on the circumstances. First off, if you're hunting in an area where non-residents are required to be guided then it is illegal. It is also illegal to do it via tag-trading, party hunting, etc.
However, if the tags for the hunts in question are over-the-counter, the land is owned by the individual offering the hunt or it is public land then it's perfectly legal in most states. The tags must also be bought by the hunter themselves via the internet or in person and that person must meet all requirements for the state in questions (hunter's safety card, age limitations, out-of-state fees, etc).
If someone is just asking to hunt with a friend that they met online in exchange for a hunt with them then it's all cool (again, in most areas). In other words, if Killerbee offered to take me hunting in Oregon and I in turn offered to take him hunting with me in Washington on a friend-to-friend basis then no law is broken.
As for the illegal guide issue, that can be tricky, again depending on where you are hunting. Let's use the same senario I used with Killerbee and me. If Killerbee promised to "put me on the deer or elk", acted as a guide only and portayed himself as such, and maybe "charged" me for it then that would be illegal in some states (And he didn't have a guide license). The charge COULD BE a hunt in another state too. It does not have to be money-exchange payment.
If I knew what states you were refering to I could tell ya exactly what is legal and what is not.
If anyone sees an error in what I posted, please let me know. I am certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed and I may be a bit off base although the stuff I outlined above are general rules and like I said, they can vary from state to state.

IN short, if it's just two friends wanting to hunt together with nothing to gain but a better friendship, it's all cool!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:30 pm

=D> =D> what did i tell you, AGC comes thru again! like i said this is just something i read on another site and DEFFINATLY have little knowledge on it myself. but it did catch my eye so i figured i would bring it up here and see what you guys had to say about it. and yes i do think it's o.k. for this trading hunts as you are mainly hunting with someone who is a buddy(computer or not) and not for money. once again thanks AGCHAWK for tuning in and posting i always look forward to your input!

catdogs
Spike
Spike

Post by catdogs » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:04 pm

or it is public land then it's perfectly legal in most states.

That is a pretty bold statement in my opinion. Swap hunts fall into a very grey legal area in most western states and depending on the warden or a judge I would hate to gambel with it. Don't get me wrong, I think it should be OK to swap a hunt.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:55 pm

Catdogs, I concure...and I should have worded my post a bit better.

If someone offers a swap for monitary or material gain and is not licensed to do so, they are breaking the law in a lot of states.

However, if a friend offers to take a buddy hunting and that buddy follows all rules and regulations pertaining to an out-of-state hunter and then the second friend returns the favor they are alright in most states. They are not actually swapping hunts, they are taking turns entertaining eachother and enjoying the outdoors.
Heck, my brother is an Idaho resident and I am a Washington resident and we take eachother hunting every year. We pay out of state fees when crossing the boarder and follow the regulations in each state. We are breaking no rules or regulations...this is the type of "swap" I was refering to.

Was that a better attempt of explaining it? Does anyone have any applifying info on this? I will do some research this week and compile a list of western states that regulate this and I'll post it on this same thread.

Lastly, I HAVE been wrong before and you should ALWAYS check your local regs regardless of what someone told you. I am far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

IndianaBooner
Spike
Spike

Post by IndianaBooner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Sorry I asked ](*,)

I just would like an opportunity to hunt mule deer or elk or even merriam or Rios turkeys. Everything I don't have here.

I know there is alot of public land out west, but if someone was interested in a flat lander tagging along let me know

So if anyone wants to come to Indiana and hunt whitetails or eastern turkey, let me know, there would be no charge or any kind, you could even probably stay at my house. all tags are all over the counter

thanks for reading