Word is......

Talk related to anything & everything.
kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Re: Word is......

Post by kinzysdad » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:45 am

DeadI wrote:I don't believe that a spike tag holder will be able to hunt the any bull uinits. As least I hope not. What would the point be of haveing an anybull unit.
Any bull is just that, any bull including spikes. It only seperates the spike unites, NOT the open bull units. If I've read everything on the posts correctly, then a person can hunt a spike bull anyplace they choose? Of course with the exception of private property? :>/ :>/

What a freakin mess.
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

*ShedPredator*
2 point
2 point

Post by *ShedPredator* » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Well i'm not much of a archery hunter but i do still get out to look at the velvet bucks down here in Southern Utah and like sneekeepete said it's busy for the first part of that time but there's enough country down here that you really don't notice it much cause most of them are pretty spread out so coming from me i really didn't thing that it was any problem at all.
"to small keep drivin..."

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:We don't need 17 days alone down here, I didn't ask for it. Might get lonely now. :)
:-k
I'm afraid you might see the exact opposite happen. From what I understand, there will not be cap on the number of archers who can choose to hunt down there YET. What this did is potentially force more archers to the southern unit. I know several dedicated hunters that had southern tags but archery hunted in the central unit. This proposal would have forced them to hunt in southern Utah.

The overcrowding perception will not go away from this. The next step will be for the WB to limit the number of archery tags issued in each unit. The result from that will be that many people who have always archery hunted the South will no longer be able to get a tag every year. Mark my word, if you live and archery hunt in Southern Utah you better start looking for another area to hunt in Northern Utah in a few years, or plan on sitting it out.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:34 pm

If I've read everything on the posts correctly, then a person can hunt a spike bull anyplace they choose? Of course with the exception of private property?
after reading the proposal..... I'm pretty sure that a spike tag will only allow you to hunt a LE elk unit...... still unable to hunt a spike in an open bull unit. I'm glad they didnt get the 17000 tags approved.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm

chet wrote:
If I've read everything on the posts correctly, then a person can hunt a spike bull anyplace they choose? Of course with the exception of private property?
after reading the proposal..... I'm pretty sure that a spike tag will only allow you to hunt a LE elk unit...... still unable to hunt a spike in an open bull unit. I'm glad they didnt get the 17000 tags approved.

Thanks for the clarification. I dont like this one bit. The more I think about it the angrier I get over the L.E. change. Why one earth would they even consider spike hunts on L.E areas? Am I just an uneducated fool who cant figure out why killing spike limits the number of potential mature animals?
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm

they've been doing it for years on the wasatch and manti.......

I'm still on the fence on this one.

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:44 pm

I think that the previous spike units will see a reduction in pressure..... but I'm not so sure it will be a good trade off. #-o

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I heard from a pretty reliable source that the spike hunt will be going on DURING the L.E. Hunt. So if you have been applying for years for that special tag and you finally draw...you will have spike only hunters in there at the same time as your dream hunt moving the elk to who knows where...Now that would get my goat!

I also heard that starting this year, you will be allowed to apply for all species. This means you can now apply for elk, antelope and deer and as many once in a lifetime hunts as you wish... The waiting period will remain in effect per species if you have drawn recently.

Let's just say that you have been applying for elk for 8 years and you have 10 people with 10 points and 8 people with 9 points and a hundred with less points than you. People that were applying for deer only or antelope only are now applying for your picked unit. There could be and most likely will be 1000+ people applying for your area. If you thought your drawing odds were tough before just wait and see what the odds will be! You may never draw! And if you are a NonResident like me, that means buying a license every year you apply for a tag you may never get. It adds up quick.

I think I will look long and hard about my future in applying in Utah. They want your's and my money...but they may shoot theirselves in the foot before it's all over.
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:42 pm

tommycaller wrote:I heard from a pretty reliable source that the spike hunt will be going on DURING the L.E. Hunt. So if you have been applying for years for that special tag and you finally draw...you will have spike only hunters in there at the same time as your dream hunt moving the elk to who knows where...Now that would get my goat! Only for the archery hunt. The rifle guys who need the extra advantage of having NO competition while they hunt have NO hunts going on while their hunt is taking place.

I also heard that starting this year, you will be allowed to apply for all species. This means you can now apply for elk, antelope and deer and as many once in a lifetime hunts as you wish... The waiting period will remain in effect per species if you have drawn recently. Only for non-residence applicants. Don't ask how/why, there is NO explanation available that makes an ounce of sense.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

utfireman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by utfireman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:23 pm

Tom, it's good to see you over here on a good site. Why don't you post a pic of Gary's deer.