Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Re: Just wondering ?

Post by 79Ford » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 pm

I think it would depend on the diameter, if it's a shed then how long has it been open to the elements, what is it coming into contact with, at what angle it is moving, and at what speed is it moving.

Honestly I really have no idea, but i guess it would be somewhat similar to a human bone of the same diameter?

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 am

It would take a lot to break a antler just try it!! lol
WILD ANTLERS

*ShedPredator*
2 point
2 point

Post by *ShedPredator* » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:42 pm

I don't know i think it varies pretty much, ive seen some kill shots on deer and then fall down a hill quite a ways that is just filled with rocks and the horns stayed intact without even a chip in them and then ive seen it where a couple of deer went at it a little and it snapped a couple points off of him so i think it varies with the point of impact of the horn.
"to small keep drivin..."

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm

I agree with shed pred, I think it depends on the point of impact. Ridgetop has a post titled Utah opening day buck falling down after being shot. Watch the video. You'll be amazed that the buck didn't break any tines off during the fall.

In my reply to his post I mention that my brotherin laws muzzle loader buck from this year had his right antler break off when it hit the ground after being shot. His buck went down instantly and the antler only hit hard dirt, no rock. I couldn't believe that the antler broke the way it did.

I've also seen alot of pics and live deer with broken tines after the rut. Either the bucks are clashing with incredible force or the antlers are somewhat delicate.

Not to get too long winded here, but in 2003 three I had just helped my best friend bring a nice four point off the mountain. We got the buck to a dirt road and I was going to hike back to camp for a four wheeler to ease the burden. On my way back to camp I talked to a couple of teen agers that shot a 3 x 4 and were strapping it to the back of a polaris scrambler. It didn't have any racks. They were just going to drag the deer down the dirt road a couple of miles to their camp. :-k I told them I was going to get my wheeler and that we could put their deer on the front rack and my buddies deer on the back rack. They said they'd wait for me to get back. (now that I think of it I should have asked for a ride back to get my wheeler but I hiked it) When I was coming back up the dirt road to get the deer I noticed they had proceeded to start with thier drag. I guess they got impaitent. They had broken off the three point side of the antlers and one point off the four point side. I couldn't believe it what a dumb move. Oh well thier loss. I've got to beleive they lost alot of meat after dragging down a dirt road. Can you say road rash!
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:50 pm

Is this question in reference to the new Henry Mnt management tag that you are going to try and draw this year?

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Is this question in reference to the new Henry Mnt management tag that you are going to try and draw this year
lol
:funny-post

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Post by wildantlerman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm

No, The reason why is I built a wagon wheell chandelier which is posted on here for a lady in Mississippi. UPS shipped it in a crate which we built it with plenty of room and strapped it down. She recieved it and out of 8 antlers 6 are broken badly. Even some pierced through the 3/8" plywood. Totally ruined and she says it looks like they through it every which way. It had plenty of fragile and this side up along with do not stack stickers on it. I went out today with a antler and tried my hardest hitting it with my arm force as hard as I could and it would go through the plywood let alone break the antler, however it did chip the tip but I was hitting down very hard with all my might.
In my mind i could see one or two breaking but not 6, even at the thickest point of the antlers and all tips 2-3 inches down. :-k
Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm

wildantlerman wrote:No, The reason why is I built a wagon wheell chandelier which is posted on here for a lady in Mississippi. UPS shipped it in a crate which we built it with plenty of room and strapped it down. She recieved it and out of 8 antlers 6 are broken badly. Even some pierced through the 3/8" plywood. Totally ruined and she says it looks like they through it every which way. It had plenty of fragile and this side up along with do not stack stickers on it. I went out today with a antler and tried my hardest hitting it with my arm force as hard as I could and it would go through the plywood let alone break the antler, however it did chip the tip but I was hitting down very hard with all my might.
In my mind i could see one or two breaking but not 6, even at the thickest point of the antlers and all tips 2-3 inches down. :-k
I sent you a pm, I think I can help. :thumb
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Well, there is your answer right there...UPS!!! They could care less about any labeling on the crate. I sure hope it was insured.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.