when is it consider "high fenced hunting"?

Talk related to anything & everything.
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: when is it consider "high fenced hunting"?

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 pm

I gotcha, Brian. :-$

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:42 pm

High fence = high fence no matter the size of the area the high fence surrounds. Otherwise youd get guys with way too much money buying the minimum amount of land required to get their animals into the B&C/P&Y record books. Kinda makes it not even fair anymore.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 am

If it fully enclosed with a high fence.....it should not be allowed in the books. I don't think anyone is saying one is hunting tame animals in that size of enclosure.......just animals that are not free to leave the enclosure freely.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:11 am

My question is were these animals transplanted into this area for the sole purpose of doing the said studies? Or were they already there and then the fence built?

Also do you know if these animals winter and summer within this 40 square mile area naturally? Some animals stay within that range their whole lives. Others travel farther than that.

It would seem to me that if the animals live in this area all there lives and even if the fence was gone it wouldn't really effect them much, if at all. Then to me this IS NOT what I considered a "HIGH FENCED" ranch or hunting. However I can see why these animals would not be accepted into record books and that makes sense to me.

I haven't read the articles or links you posted yet. This is just my initial reaction or questions.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:14 am

But then again, I suppose my initial thought might be kinda dumb...considering the fence was put up to hold them in so I would assume they were moving in and out of this area before hand...thus the needed fence. :)

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Of course they would wander in and out of the area if there wasnt a fence,game follow grass conditions,move out of deep snow areas,move out of predator ranges,ect,ect.Some of our elk herds move 10x the distance across this high fence enclosure every fall/winter,you cant possibly believe this fence isnt keeping the herds from moving or that this shouldnt be considered a high fence encloure,unless of course you have a head you want to nter regardless of the rules B&C and P&Y have outlined,enter it in SAFARI clubs book,they dont care if it was raised in a pen and killed with a stun gun.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:My question is were these animals transplanted into this area for the sole purpose of doing the said studies? Or were they already there and then the fence built?

Also do you know if these animals winter and summer within this 40 square mile area naturally? Some animals stay within that range their whole lives. Others travel farther than that.

It would seem to me that if the animals live in this area all there lives and even if the fence was gone it wouldn't really effect them much, if at all. Then to me this IS NOT what I considered a "HIGH FENCED" ranch or hunting. However I can see why these animals would not be accepted into record books and that makes sense to me.

I haven't read the articles or links you posted yet. This is just my initial reaction or questions.
i cant give a 100% answer. but it is my understanding that the area was just fenced. it already had elk in the starky unit, then they surrounded this area with a fence for study, sometime in the alte 80's. the area is not a major wintering area so also my answer would be no to that. there would be a high % chance the elk WOULD NOT be there for wintering grounds.-- but once again, part of this post is i can not "INFLUENCE" what people think about it by giving any of my opinion, just facts to my best ability.

BOHNTR- another part of this post-- it is being compared by some to the CUSTER PARK. i'm told that B&C /P&Y DO allow bison from here and it is in a high fence. i know absolutly nothing about that so i was hopeing maybe you could give a little insite as why they are allowed if the fence is there?
thanks for the reply's. keep them coming!

Wild Antlers
2 point
2 point

Post by Wild Antlers » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 am

40 square miles is alot of land but if you think about it that is only 10 miles long by 4 wide im sure its not perfectly square but it isnt as big as it sounds so im sure if the fence wasnt there they would deffinetely leave or enter that area, but also ive seen many mule deer clear 8 foot fences so there are sure to be some getting in and out anyway, just my thoughts!! :-k
WILD ANTLERS

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Wild Antlers wrote:40 square miles is alot of land but if you think about it that is only 10 miles long by 4 wide im sure its not perfectly square but it isnt as big as it sounds so im sure if the fence wasnt there they would deffinetely leave or enter that area, but also ive seen many mule deer clear 8 foot fences so there are sure to be some getting in and out anyway, just my thoughts!! :-k
Just what I was about to say, except I was going to with 5 miles by 8 miles :))

I'm sure there are plenty of us on here that have covered more than this amount of area on a week long hunt...on foot. I know I have. The way I kind of look at this is that you would be "hunting" lab rats in a large maze. This place was set up to observe wild life in their natural elements.

First, putting up a fence is not a natural element.

Second, providing feed in the winter is not a natural element. (Yes, I know a number of states provide feed on to the herds during the winter, but this is normally during harsh winters on the natural winter range, or rather, the reduced winter range due to development.)

Third, there are ranches in Texas that make this place look tiny that are high fence operations and they are not allowed in B&C/P&Y.

Fourth, (I don't know the first thing about Custer Park) bison were almost wiped off the face of the earth and thus became protected. I don't believe there are big numbers of bison roaming free today, as most are on protected public (National Parks) or private land. Therefore, where hunting is allowed for bison, as the available land is quite small comparetively to other wildlife, I can why some place like Custer Park would be allowed in the books.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a rather long explanation is that, yes, this would be considered a high fence hunt and should not be allowed in either book, although SCI would be more than happy to accept an animal from this place.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:53 am

Custer State Park is 71,000 acres and is fenced. Elk, deer and antelope are also in the enclosure.
The Buffalo are rounded up annually and sorted for auction. I think the only free ranging herd in the US is the Yellowstone herd. And for sure they aren't allowed to go wherever they want to roam. Canada has the Wood Buffalo herds. Those big bull buffalo in Custer are as tame as cattle, you have to drive around them if their on the road. Can't imagine why they would be considered trophies?

I look at the high fence as a piece 5X8 or 4X10 miles or so. I would have no interest in hunting it. And it wouldn't matter if there were trophy size animals in it. I don't think any game animal in a controlled environment should be considered a trophy.