Rattlesnake avoidance class for dogs.

Talk related to anything & everything.
fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Rattlesnake avoidance class for dogs.

Post by fatrooster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 pm

For those of you who live in the Elko, NV area, there will be a "Rattlesnake Avoidance Class" on the 8th of August at the 5th Street Park. Trainers will use rattlers whose venom glands have been surgically severed. The dogs will be wearing remote controlled collars and will be given a negative reinforcement when his attention is on the live snake. Dogs are trained on sight, smell and sound of live snakes. If you are interested then go to snaketraining@gmail.com . Or call 775-412-1387.
This year while shed hunting I came accross 3 rattlers and I was afraid my dog would get bit so I'll be attending tyhe class. fatrooster.

killerbee

Re: Rattlesnake avoidance class for dogs.

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:55 pm

that is a great idea, i wish i lives closer!

Larry
2 point
2 point

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm

My Lab got hit by a rattler last summer while at the trainers of all places, 2 dogs got hit, one in the face and mine high on his shouder. The Trainer got a snake defanged and had the class the next week.
It's a good Idea for anyone who runs dogs in areas that has rattler.

Other that being a little shy of thing that rattle my dog come through with no ill affects, they did keep an close eye on him for a few days but no medical attention was needed. the other dog was rushed to the vet and had a complet recovery.
I know my spellings bad!

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I had a German Shepard get bit on the back leg once and he recovered fine. I've read in magazines that a dogs body has a natural ability to fight off rattlesnake venom. But if he gets bit in the face or chest he could end up dying. But not always. fatrooster.