scope ? what would you do?

Talk related to anything & everything.
killerbee

scope ? what would you do?

Post by killerbee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:56 pm

I went to a gun show today, mainly looking for scopes. I have a great win.70 30-06 that needed a scope, and my new 358 Norma mag needed one.

snooping around, i found a booth that had an "as new" looking Cabelas Alaska guide 3.5 - 10 X42 with rangefinding hash marks. he was asking $150.00
He ALSO had a brand new tasco world class 3-9X40 for $75.00

i did some wheeling and dealing ( mainly interested in the Cabelas scope) and bought both for $140.00 =D> 10sign:

i got home and checked- that exact scope , in cabelas, is 349.99 new

so now my delima: my 358 Norma is probably going to kick, ALOT.
but i'll probably use the 30-06 10 to 1 over the 358 Norma.

what would you do? I'm leaning towards putting the cabelas scope on the 30-06 and just trying the tasco out on the 358. Tasco used to have a great exchange policy if something broke on their world class scopes ( anyone know if they still do?)
I'll still need to eventually upgrade the 358, but do you think the TASCO would work on the 358?

OR do i put the better CABELAS scope on the 358, it should be just fine , then put the Tasco one the 30-06 knowing it would take that recoil fine too?

i'm thinking i want a better scope one the one i'll have in my hands more often (???)

AH, what am i worried about, like i'll ever be able to walk out the door with anything but my 300WBY in my hands lol

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Re: scope ? what would you do?

Post by Coloradobuck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

i got the leopuld 3X9 it works perfect havent had to many problems with it
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Coloradobuck wrote:i got the leopuld 3X9 it works perfect havent had to many problems with it
sorry, that wasn't my question.
i have leupold, swarovski, leica, and ziess optics my self.
i have 2 guns i dont use much, just wondering who would place what scope , OF THE 2 I MENTIONED where?

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:53 pm

I would put the Cabela's on your .30-06 and use the Tasco to burn ants like we all did as a kid with a magnifying glass. You will need a scope on your .358 that can handle the recoil and I'm not 100% sure the Cabela's can do that. For sure the Tasco can't.

As you said, you will shoot the the .30-06 10 to 1 over the .358. Save up for a scope that can handle the recoil and use the Tasco on a .22 or to stoke the fire at camp.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 am

ABert wrote:I would put the Cabela's on your .30-06 and use the Tasco to burn ants like we all did as a kid with a magnifying glass. You will need a scope on your .358 that can handle the recoil and I'm not 100% sure the Cabela's can do that. For sure the Tasco can't.

As you said, you will shoot the the .30-06 10 to 1 over the .358. Save up for a scope that can handle the recoil and use the Tasco on a .22 or to stoke the fire at camp.
Pretty much my thoughts!

i'm think the AK hunter is a great scope, use it more often- on the gun i'll use MORE OFTEN???

and since i think were all on the same page on the 358---- heres a better question.

What type of scope should i be looking at that will handle the recoil?
*** ( keep in mind- this probably wont ever get shot to much, but theres nothing worse than a gun you cant hit anything with?)
so i want to rule out paying a grand for a scope for it, when basically i'll still take my 300 WBy 100% of the time to go hunting.
i will run a couple rounds down it this weekend to feel the recoil, no scope- just to kill curiosity:)

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 am

+1 Abert

Let us know how she bucks outa the shoot there killer! I'm sure she take you for a good ride.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 am

Over the years I've been forced due to budget problems to put some pretty sorry scopes on some rifles that kicked hard. Some of the real cheapies surprised me and never gave any problems. I guess an outstanding one gets off the assmebly line now and then. I had an old Tasco 1.5X5 on a light 30-06 that kicked real bad with 180 grain bullets. So bad it slid in the rings and sheared the power ring. I replaced the screw that held the power ring and hunted all season with it with no problems. Killed 11 deer in 4 states that year with it. You won't know until you try it. Tell us how it works out. Especially if anything spectacular happens. :))
Mark

BikerRN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BikerRN » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 am

m gardner wrote:Over the years I've been forced due to budget problems to put some pretty sorry scopes on some rifles that kicked hard. Some of the real cheapies surprised me and never gave any problems.
Mark
That has been my expirience as well.

I've got a new rifle that I cannot, at this time, afford to put a Zeiss on, so I went with a Leaper. Later I'll upgrade the scope, but this will get me by for now.

Cheaper scopes have suprised me often, and while not all less exspensive brands are good, there are some decent brands out there, or decent models from cheaper manufacturers, that will fill a void.

Biker