archery hunt for dutton/paunsagaunt antelope.

Talk anything related to Antelope
alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

archery hunt for dutton/paunsagaunt antelope.

Post by alpinbowman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:25 am

Hello I am new to this forum and I was looking for some more places to find some good speed goats. I have been looking on the southeast corner and I have found enough goats but there is nothing to huge there. I am not supper picky being my wife and mines first antelope hunt but I would like to find more than 6 or 8 bucks to chase on the hunt to make sure we have plenty of options.

here are some pics from the previous scouting.

thanks for any info
alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:43 pm

alpinbowman

First off ::wel to MuleyMadness, glad to have you aboard!

I think I can give you a few pointers, I've been in the area several times and hunted it several years ago with a tag my Father had.

FUN hunt! Also have a buddy that had the tag a couple of years ago, maybe he could give you some help also?

Here is some bucks I photographed on June 16th on the Dutton Unit or north of the highway.

One of them is a shooter in my book. Wide, good mass, and probably has a better looking curl up top now than he did then.
Attachments
lopers.jpg
lopers.jpg (103.36 KiB) Viewed 7810 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:47 pm

In my experience they is great numbers of Antelope on the Dutton side, not saying the biggest or the best but I've seen more on that side.

As you come up out of Red Canyon, take the first main road left (dirt) forget the name now and there is some great country and some good antelope up that direction. Some great watering holes also.

This is where we took our buck, which is a GREAT buck...but that was years ago.

Here is a picture of it...

Here is another one taken on the Paunsaugunt side a couple of years later...

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Both VERY good bucks for the area, you may be hard pressed to get one this size these days??

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:14 pm

HOLY TOLITOS THOSE ARE HUGE!!!

Congrats on the success, and good luck alpinbowman! Wish I could help.

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Post by alpinbowman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm

thanks for the info muley. Those pictures gave me a knot in my stomach thinking I could have a shot at a goat that size. when you say north of the highway was it close to the airport or closer to hwy 89? Man those goats are great.
alpinebowman

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:51 pm

Closer to 89, but the first picture I posted is/was RIGHT by the airport. However these bucks move ALL over during the summer and won't be in that spot come hunting time.

Right as you come up out of the canyon, turn left. Great area, good water sources etc.

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Post by alpinbowman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:20 am

thanks I think you are talking about fr117 we checked that out also but didn't have time to look over it good. I was planning on hitting it again this weekend.
alpinebowman

turkey track
Fawn
Fawn

Post by turkey track » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:29 am

i drew a tag a few years ago the area right behind the airport is called flake and has alot of goats. the area brett talked about i think is called tom best springs you might want to try cottonwood area along the flat where the road takes you to antimony. i took my goat out in the flake area. good luck this is a real fun hunt you will see alot of nice ones. :thumb

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Post by alpinbowman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks turkey track. I spent most of the weekend around tom best and drove through flake mtn also. I have definitely seen alot of goats but nothing huge yet . I hope to remedy that this weekend. I am glad to hear another person that had a good hunt down there. None of my reports have been disappointingly. thanks guys.
alpinebowman