My first Bull Elk.. success!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

My first Bull Elk.. success!

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 am

After not drawing any elk tags, I was left with the filling there would be no elk in the freezer this year. There was however an OTC tag in my unit that was open for a few days for spike only. I figured we would give it a go and see what happens. I hadn't seen a spike in my unit for around 7 years. Either I was only looking for cow elk and not antlers or there werent any to be seen.
Opening morning I hiked up a nasty steep ridge to get a better look of the mountains and canyons surrounding me. About 2 miles away in my rifle scope I see 8 elk on a ridge. They are heading to bead down in the timber. I decide to let them settle in before my long hike to where they are at. My first obstical is a deep long creek full of willows. Its like a corn maze. I finally get across and head to a ridge to get a better look. I underestimated the steepness and it takes me and hour to get up it. I finally settle in and start glassing the timber. I see a calf bedded down and a cow above him. No longer than 10 minutes pass and they get up and start to feed. No sign of the spike I thought I had seen earlier. I range my distance and I'm at 275 yards.. perfect! Cant ask to get any closer than that. As they start to feed a few wander out into the open. Not too far behind is the spike! I get my scope on him as he is walking away. He finally stops for a moment... BOOM!! He hits the dirt... tries to get up...BOOM!! Down.... but he isnt done.... he starts to tumble down the mountain. Ah no! I watch as the goes head over rear over and over again. Finally he hits a pine tree and stops. Thank goodness. I get to him and no breakage on his antlers. Lucky!
We clean him out and start to drag him down the mountain. Its getting dark now. I decide to skin him out and cut him in half to help cool. I straddle both quarters over two large rocks to keep him elevated. I'll be back in the morning to get him.. I hope the coyotes and wolves dont get him. Then it hits me... why not...'mark' the area around the quarters. It worked. Nothing feed on him that night. It takes the intire rest of the next day to get him drug out. A total of a day and a half. Now about that creek I had to cross... the elk has to cross it too. So we went for a little swim.. burrr! Thank goodness the truck was only 200 yards away from the creek.
What a hunt! My first spike elk opening day, the hard work afterwards, and the incredible scenery made for my most enjoyable hunt yet! I couldn't be happier! 10sign:
Attachments
Spike Elk Hunt 2009 0036.jpg
Spike Elk Hunt 2009 0036.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: My first Bull Elk.. success!

Post by wingmaster36 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Nice! Congrats.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Excellent work, what a blast. :thumb

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:23 pm

:thumb Congrats on your elk! With that kill you have no doubt been addicted to the sport, now that you got your first one out of the way, do yourself and the rest of us a favor and let em grow. If nobody shot bulls with less then 5 points to a side then there would be bulls everywhere and big ones!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Well done thats good eats right there! :thumb

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Congrats on a great trophy!! Thanks for the story. :thumb
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I'd love to leave you guys some spikes to grow up to be big bulls, but if all I can get is an OTC Spike only tag cause I can't draw a cow tag to save my life... I just can't pass up the meat that cuts like 'butta'. He's the tastest elk I've ever had. Sea Salt, garlic, and ground sage rubbed into the steaks cooked in butter. Who's hungry? :thumb

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Congrats on filling probably the toughest elk tag of all. Great eating to last you for a while!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 pm

great job! thanks for posting up your story :thumb

BowtechAdmiral
Spike
Spike

Post by BowtechAdmiral » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Nice Spike. I bet those backstraps will almost melt in your mouth.
New School Archer. Never settle with good. Always looking for something better.