Anyone see anything in North Cache Unit?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Poorshot
Fawn
Fawn

Anyone see anything in North Cache Unit?

Post by Poorshot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 am

I drew a LE bull tag for the Late Hunt in North Cache. However, I've only been able to get up there to scout once so far. I had plans to be up there the weekend before last, but ended having to stay here in SLC to attend a funeral for my best friend's little stillborn baby (talk about perspective and heartbreak...). Then, my plans to head up this last weekend (and the next handful of weekends) were killed with a nice little hernia that about wiped me out. I went under the knife and got it repaired yesterday. So, not only have I not gotten out, I'm under orders to not do anything strenuous for 3 weeks, and I can't lift anything over 15 pounds for 5 weeks. I'm screwed. This, of course, happens when I should be preparing for the hunt of a lifetime for a nice big bull.

So, with that, if anyone has any finds they'd care to share, I'd be ever grateful. I hate to ask for this kind of favor with only my second post here, but I'm desperate now.

Also, if anyone is looking for an excuse to get out and glass some hills in November (or in the weeks leading up to the hunt), you're more than welcome to join. I'm clearly going to need all the help I can get. The hunt is November 13 - 21. I'm planning on scouting a lot in the days leading up to the 13th. I'll be stationed on a farm in my buddy's tent trailer in Richmond...

Thanks in advance for your help you guys...
Last edited by Poorshot on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: Anyone see anything in North Cache Unit

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:40 am

FYI.. your new so i will let you in on this info. it is concidered bad form to ask for information on where elk, deer, anything like that are located. we all get the chance to get out and hunt. and web scouting is taboo.. I understand that your laid up but don't expect much help.. I will tell you this just to give you a launching point. I-30 there is a pull off on the top just befor you drop into bear lake. start your search there late season..
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:00 pm

I had a hernia repaired a few months ago and it just about killed me. All i could think about was being out in the mountains scouting for the archery hunt. But i was stuck at home unable to do anything! I hope you have a speedy recovery, i feel your pain! As for your hunt i dont know where any bulls are but while your sitting in bed you can use my favorite scouting tool, Google Earth. Go to the DWR website and you can download your map boundaries right to google earth, heres the link http://wildlife.utah.gov/mapsBETA/publi ... daries.php now just find places that look interesting, find bedding areas, feeding areas, travel routes, vantage points, etc. You can get to know your hunting area pretty well without even leaving your bed. Im pretty sure there are phone numbers for biologists on the DWR website that might be able to help you out with a place to start. Ive never contacted a biologist but i know people that do and get some good info. My advice is to just let yourself completely heal dont over do it and ruin your hunt. Do most of your homework from home. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions on how to use Google Earth.
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

Poorshot
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Poorshot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 pm

I understand (and completely agree) that internet scouting is a bit taboo - and it's certainly not my intention to step on any toes. But, I'm feeling a bit desperate given what's gone on for me. But I do appreciate your suggestion, One Lonely Fool - much thanks! I will check that place out ASAP.

Archer - I've been going crazy on Google Earth. I get a bit queezy looking at the computer though with the Percocet coursing through my veins. I guess it's better than feeling the full effects of a near c-section! This really does suck, but at least I should be ready to go, physically, in November (but no deer hunt this year for me).

Muley_73
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Anyone see anything in North Cache Unit?

Post by Muley_73 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:25 am

Well I guess I might be stepping on at least one pair of toes, but I believe that these forums are great for scouting. I will be spending some time scouting on the North Cache and will let you know what I am seeing. Good Luck on your recovery and hunt.

Milesaway
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Milesaway » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Poorshot,
I haven't hunted up there in a few years, but things should be about the same. The South Cache holds better and bigger bulls, but there should be some good ones in the North Cache. I am a newbie on here, but I have been looking around for a couple of years, not really being into forums. When is the tag for? I know that once the bullets start flying, all elk run for Hardware Ranch (which is in the South Cache unit).

Poorshot
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Poorshot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 pm

I drew for the late hunt, so Nov 13-21 this year. I'm hoping that the weather pushes the big fellas down from the higher elevations - but that's not gonna happen if we keep having these 90 degree October days!