My First Elk -2010

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My First Elk -2010

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:59 am

I enjoyed the whole entire story except for the same thing as mentioned above.
I learned that maybe I don’t have what it takes to be a trophy hunter
I kindly disagree with that statement. :)

Throw out the trophy crap, that bull is a 'trophy' to you and it would be to me also with all that hard work you put into the hunt. Glad Deloss was an awesome guy and pointed you in the right direction. Enjoyed the story/pics/etc. That MOON pic in the trees is AWESOME!!

Great job and thanks for sharing. :thumb

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:21 am

Awesome writeup and awesome bull, thanks for sharing.
10sign:
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Great story and a beautiful bull!! Gotta love the sounds and colors of a fall elk hunt! Congrats 10sign:
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 pm

man NOTENOUGH, that was awsome!!

i cant believe i missed this post . i feel cheated (???) while everyone was enjoying this post, i was, well i dont know what i was doing but reading the post would have been cooler:)

i love the detail of the hunt, makes us think we were there to.

as far as the size of the bull , and you thinking your not a trophy hunter , i believe your missguided by these public forums. when we are all old and on are death beds there will be times we look back in life and remember the most, i'll bet this trip is one of those memories. THAT is where the trophy is :thumb

i drew a top tier wyoming tag a couple yrs ago, and came home with a bull that wasn't as big as i was "supposed" to kill. that is still one of the best hunts i have ever been on.

so super kudos to you bud! you did great, put in some hard work and a long day of packing, i'm super jelous! ( as if i spelled that right :)) )

congrats and thanks for a super great read! it made my night :thumb

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

My "not cut out to be a trophy hunter" satement comes from the fact that just another 600 - 800 yards over the ridge was a 350-360 class bull. I only saw him for about 6 seconds as did my brother. We just looked at each other and said did you see that? We could have backed out and came back the next morning but I was mentally spent. I worried that they might blow out of the area that night and I could be going home empty handed. I'm happy with the bull I took. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't proud of the accomplishment. I had just built up the tag in my mind to where I expected opportunities on B&C class bulls.

As killer bee mentioned it is easy to get misguided by all the posts of huge animals on these public forums. I had an experience to remember with my bro. Not much will top that when memory lane is visited later in life.

Thanks again for the good words.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Muley_73
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Muley_73 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:30 am

Great story and pics. DeLoss can be a good old boy, just don't get him going on the deer herd. I know he loves helping others on their hunts and was pumped to see your success. :thumb

wenunley
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wenunley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:43 am

Is this on the Monroe unit? i had a similar story to go along with yours and it looks like the same area on the Monroe.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:33 am

wenunley wrote:Is this on the Monroe unit? i had a similar story to go along with yours and it looks like the same area on the Monroe.
Yes it was the Monroe unit. Please take a minute to post about your hunt experience. I've learned a lot from these forums and know that others could benefit from hearing what you have to say about your hunt.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:13 am

Great pics and what a nice bull!!

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:59 pm

The scenery and the harvest doesn't get any better than that. I am getting stoked. 5 more days and i will be on the road. Congrats