rumors?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: rumors?

Post by BIG R » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm

375 is a big bull for sure,but 375 doesnt get him much of that trophy fee that he charges.If guides were all about the hunting aspect of things they wouldnt charge a trophy fee,but no they are to greedy :>/

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 pm

BIG R wrote:375 is a big bull for sure,but 375 doesnt get him much of that trophy fee that he charges.If guides were all about the hunting aspect of things they wouldnt charge a trophy fee,but no they are to greedy :>/
A couple of things: 1)The guy who bought the Governors tag for 6 figures didn't buy it to shoot a 375 bull, he could have bought a tag for 90% of the LE units in Utah and be able to kill a 375 class bull, and it would be a whole lot less money. 2)While I do NOT condone, nor do I charge, trophy fees, Mossback charges for them due to a couple of hunters they had in the past that passed on 375 class bulls and finally connected on 400 class bulls only to give less than a $100.00 tip to be split by two guides. Let me repeat, I do NOT condone, nor do I charge, trophy fees. 3)I have been guiding for 20+ years, and I have met hundreds of guides during this time, and I can count on one hand the number of guides that make what most people consider good money. When I add up the number of hours I put into guiding a hunter, scouting for the hunt, wear and tear on my vehicles/equipment, gas, I make less than $10.00 an hour on a given hunt. If that is being greedy consider me guilty as burn. (???) I could make more money being a night manager at Wendy's and it would be a whole easier and would allow me to spend more time at home with the wife and kids. I know dozens of guides very well, and not one guides out of greed.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:31 am

Of the guided hunts that I've been on I've never had to discuss trophy fees. the people that took me around had to be doing it because it's what they love to do. There is no way that you could pay me to do it. After hearing some of the horror stories that these people go through to get a client that isn't prepared or that can't make the shots that they claim to be able to make it's a wonder that there any guides left to take people out. I think that it's a case of a few bad apples giving the rest a bad rep.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 am

Only 2 guides have to split the tip.The few times Ive seen him guiding it looks like a circus act.what about the 10 other scouters and camera guys they do it for free.I guided for 14 years also.When I started I was charging 100.00 a day and the last 5 years I went to tip only and still paid for my gas & time.

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:37 am

You must not do much scouting and/or live real close to the areas you guide in. I live 4+ hours away from the main areas I guide in, it costs me $200+ just in gas for a 3 day scouting trip. If I only charged $100.00 a day for a 5 day hunt I would be losing money, yes I know expecting to make a living is "greedy". :-$ Add in wear and tear on my truck/atv/optics/boots/etc and charging $100/day would mean a 'good' guide who is expected to get the hunter an above average bull/buck/ram for the area he is hunting in is paying to guide instead of being paid to guide. An outfitter also has to pay for land use permits, insurance/bonds, taxes. I know very few 'rich' outfitters that obtained their 'wealth' from guiding, in fact I don't know of any. Mossback makes most of their profits from video sales and merchandise sales, NOT from guide services.

As for the number of guides/spotters Mossback employees for a given hunter, when I worked there I had more than a spotter with me all of ONE day. The Governors tag holder will obviously get more than a guide and a spotter. Over-stating how many guides/spotters a hunter has is silly, why do it?

I love to spend time in the field, guiding allows me to spend more time in the field than not guiding would. I also enjoy meeting new people and making great friends with many of the hunters I guide. stinkystomper has already become a great friend of mine and his hunt is a month and a half away. I am probably as excited as he is for his upcoming hunt. :thumb
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Its your story tell it however it sounds best to you,for a guy that has nothing to do with them you sure seem to know EVERYTHING about them,any way you tell it your tied in with these crews that have turne hunting on public land in your state into a money game,where the common man is pushed out of an area by the babysitters who keep an eye on the trophys that everyone should have a chance to hunt.Its a joke,its ruining hunting and you are part of the problem,no amount of your reasoning or defending these tactics will change that. :>/

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Please stay on topic and stop the personal attacks.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

iliveinthewoods
Spike
Spike

Post by iliveinthewoods » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:40 pm

This convo has definitely gotten interesting about the ethics about guided and non guided hunts. About the money making aspect of it... You can't complain cuz 90% of the hunters would love to be guides. Be able to spend a ton of time in the mountains. As for wear and tear on vehicles and such. You choose that career path. Don't complain about it. I would love to be a guide instead of spending my own money hunting, and being in the woods.. Spending someone Else's would be nice. Although I am sick of hearing of all of the terrible stories of guides and outfitters doing unethical things to protect their "trophy" that they want to claim. Blocking roads, camping spotters on top of an animal. Kind of ruins great units like Dutton,Pauns,Strip for the average joe blow that doesn't have 15 grand to spend on a hunt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hoyt Katera XL
Fuse Acculaunch
Fuse Satori
Fuse Sidekick
Spott Hogg Hogg-it
G5 Matreo Strings
Beaman ICS Hunter Elite
G5 Tekan
"I thought I could shoot, til i saw a shooter..."

NONYA
Monster