Elk Hunting Tactics

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

Elk Hunting Tactics

Post by Bowhuntrben » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 pm

I will be going on my first elk hunt this coming fall in Colorado. I will be hunting the western portion of GMU 68, and will be going at the beginning of the archery season (August 28) and hunting for about 2 weeks.
I have read and been told by people that I should do very little bugling this time of year and the way to call in an elk is to use soft cow calls and expect them to come in silent.
What technique does everybody else use? If this is the technique, how long do you stay in one setup before moving, and how far do you move for your next setup?
What elevation do you typically hunt elk this time of year? Is it a particular elevation range or at timberline or what?
What types of vegetation do you look for to find the elk?
Do you get to your first setup well before light and hunt until dark?
GMU 68 is an over the counter area. I am going to be trying for a bull. Has anybody hunted the area and know what size bulls I can somewhat reasonably expect to get a chance at or the chances of even calling anything in?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated..Thanks!!!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Elk Hunting Tactics

Post by m gardner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Any OTC unit usually is manged for yeild and not trophy quality though you'll find some big bulls. Usually the early part of the season the best bet is to find a waterhole they like and put up a tree stand. If you want to locate them go out at night and listen for them to bugle. They are big animals and leave lots of sign so they aren't hard to find. They aren't shy about putting lots of ground between you and them if you spook them though. Get good glasses and look alot too. You'll need to be in good shape especially if you are older. You can die at high altitude or get sick from it. Go a few days early to help acclimate yourself. Camp at 8500 or lower. It'll help you sleep. You'll probably be hunting much higher and it'll be quite an experience in itself. By the end of the first week you'll be okay with the altitude. Good luck.
Mark

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Good luck! Sorry dont have any info on that unit

for me I cant leave home without my lucky pink hoodie and my trusty ol .280 that I never sight in..
My hunting partner always makes fun of me says I miss so bad the bullet ricochets off a rock and makes the lucky lung shot for me..

Just depends on the weather and what the bulls are doing. I have had better luck being sneekee and figure out their patterns and not even calling.

Bowhuntrben
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowhuntrben » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for the luck! Maybe I should invest in a lucky pink hoodie! ;)

me+3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by me+3 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Bulls are typically not interreste in cows yet. To hot. they may come out of curiousity. At the end of August beginning of September. A little squealy locator will work just as well as anything. They will most probably come in silent. Listen for the sound of a stick break. You will probably hear his feet or antlers racking off snags as he walks by. Setups all depend on the situation. If you're on a watter hole or wallow, there is real good sign around maybe you sit there all day. Play it by ear. If the water is merky then it's active. If the water is just starting to clear then you are to late(how much to late depends on if the water is a seep or puddle. If the water is moving it will clear faster. That will give you some idea of when to be there. Undesturbed elk will hit that hole about the same time every day. If there is alot of water around, wallows and watering holes are very phickle. When it's hot out go high. N. or NE. facing slopes that have dark timber. Find benches.

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:56 pm

My word of advice when its that hot is to find where theyre watering and patiently wait for hours on end until the come in to drink. This works for me great.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:00 pm

me+3 wrote:Bulls are typically not interreste in cows yet. To hot. they may come out of curiousity. At the end of August beginning of September. A little squealy locator will work just as well as anything. They will most probably come in silent. Listen for the sound of a stick break. You will probably hear his feet or antlers racking off snags as he walks by. Setups all depend on the situation. If you're on a watter hole or wallow, there is real good sign around maybe you sit there all day. Play it by ear. If the water is merky then it's active. If the water is just starting to clear then you are to late(how much to late depends on if the water is a seep or puddle. If the water is moving it will clear faster. That will give you some idea of when to be there. Undesturbed elk will hit that hole about the same time every day. If there is alot of water around, wallows and watering holes are very phickle. When it's hot out go high. N. or NE. facing slopes that have dark timber. Find benches.
Wow! I had never thought about the watering holes that much, thanks for sharing! definately going to remember that this year!
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson