Perfect shot placement

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
ABert

Perfect shot placement

Post by ABert » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Now, the title may be a bit misleading, and I apologize for that up front but I believe I have figured out the absolute best place to put a bullet in an elk. I got my cow this year on a somewhat tough shot but not an impossible shot by any stretch. About 100 yards through a narrow alley through the quakies. Still a bit surprised I could see an elk that far into the trees, let alone get a shot on one.

Anyways, I saw the elk buckle when I pulled the trigger (never have heard the "smack" of the bullet in any of the animals I have taken over the years). I pretty much figured the bullet hit the boiler room the way the elk reacted. Couldn't see it after the shot and figured it took off but was hit good.

Started my walk to where I thought the elk was when I hit it (keep in mind a LOT of trees) and heard some crashing in the woods in front of me. As soon as I saw the cow I knew it was a spine shot. I carry a .22 Buckmark just for such occassions. Humane and quick mercy shot.

As my brother made his way up the slope I found the exit wound but couldn't find the entry. Exit was on the left side high on the shoulder. Being as I was pretty much level with the elk I figured the entry was close to the same on the right or there was some deflection on hitting bone.

Upon getting the elk back to camp and hung we started the skinning process. I expected to lose a bit of meat off both shoulder but was truly surprised to find what we did. The bullet entered the top of the right shoulder blade, punched a hole bigger than my finger right through the middle of the spine and blew through the left should shoulder blade.

I'd put the total loss of meat at less than 1/4 of pound. I've dropped other elk in their tracks before but have never had a more effecient shot placement as far as loss of meat. I wish I could say this was the exact shot placement I was looking for but I can't. I kind of forgot that at 100 yards my rifle is sighted in about 2-2 1/2" high, I shot offhand and I had to keep moving to my left until I was almost standing in a small stream to get the shot.

Guess all I wanted to say is after all my years of hunting, where I hit this elk was by far the absolute, hands down the best place to put bullet to drop an elk where it stands and not waste any meat.

Oh, this was a 140gr Winchester Failsafe in .270. Some may think this is too small to use on elk but I've seen this same bullet bust through the femur, the pelvis AND the other femur not once but twice on elk. Too bad they don't make them anymore.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Re: Perfect shot placement

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Whether you agree with it or not (I particularly don't) my grandpa would take a head shot over a body one because he says he loses no meat. A lot can go wrong with the very small window for a head shot, but he likes them & are his preferred shot for little or no meat loss.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore