Which Elk Unit?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
cwp
Spike
Spike

Which Elk Unit?

Post by cwp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am

I have a question for all of you adimate elk hunters out there. I have been putting in for the Monroe unit for the last 15 years and have not drawn a tag. I really want to hunt elk next year so that I can get onto another hunt. I am curious what unit you would put in for with 15 points in Utah. There are definitely other units that hold a lot of good bulls, but I have connections in Monroe. Let me know what you think.

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Re: Which Elk Unit?

Post by kinzysdad » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:47 am

Book Cliffs without a doubt :thumb
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:53 am

The draw odds say that a nonresident with 13 points should have 100% chance of drawing the any weapon hunt on the Monroe. I don't know why you weren't drawn with 15 points. I would hang in and try for the unit I wanted with that many points.

cwp
Spike
Spike

Post by cwp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 pm

I understand the odds for the unit.......It took my dad 27 years to draw the same tag. It was an awesome hunt, he didn't get a huge elk, but they were everywhere. I would love to hunt there but I don't want to wait another 12 years to get the opportunity.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Well according the the DWR, you should have no problem drawing out with 15 points. Since everyone did in 08.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggam ... ats/08.pdf

Even with 14 points, its a 24% chance to draw.

But if not, check out the Pahvant Units

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:17 pm

I agree, with 15 points it should be a guaranteed draw. How many points you have?

oddhntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by oddhntr » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Congrats on having 15 points in Utah! :not-worthy

I would definitely check out the harvest statistics and draw odds to help with your decision. It is kinda hard to compare hunting units with the stats given on the state's web page. I have made some maps that make it easy to compare the stats of different units. The map shows the boundaries of each hunting unit, and each unit is colored from blue to red (cold spot to hot spot) based on the trophy potential and harvest success indicated by the harvest statistics. The most important statistics & draw odd numbers are located in tables and are visible when you click on any specific unit. This is the easiest way I know to compare places to elk hunt in Utah, which you really need to do when you have a chance at a very rare tag.

There are also maps for other big game species in other Rocky Mountain States that you can check out after you bag your huge bull next year!

Good Luck in the draw next year!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:13 pm

In my opinion you should put in for the unit you know the most (or have connections in). The Monroe may not be the "best" unit in the state for everyone, but for you it is.

Wasatch Wonder
Spike
Spike

Post by Wasatch Wonder » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:40 pm

I drew out on a cow tag about 15 years ago on the Monroe, and I have never seen more big bulls in my life. That unit puts Yellowstone to shame. The giant bulls had no fear of us whatsoever. If I were you I would keep at it, and soon you will harvest a monster bull. I envy you.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Cory,
Hang in there this is your year. And a busy one it will be espicaly when your wife and dad draw a speed goat tag as well. :thumb

You know who to call for help.
Deadi