Utah Elk Survey

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Utah Elk Survey

Post by 6x6 bull » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Just got an E-mail from Utah wanting me to complete a survey on the new Elk plan. I hope my response about the spike hunting during the LE hunts puts a stop to it or at least moves it to a season of their own.

jarvis243
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Utah Elk Survey

Post by jarvis243 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

Can you only take it if they send one to you? Or can you go on the website and take one? Anybody know? I would like share my opinion also.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 pm

is it a link that you can post here. i would like to take it as well.
Deadi

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:08 pm

I think that it was only sent out to a select group. It gave me a specific user number that I had to put on my survey. I am sure that a lot more people would like to give their opinion like Ox and Bowtec43. They both had a hard time getting away from the crowd of spike hunters on their LE hunts this year.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:13 am

I didn't have the problem with the Spike hunters like OX did, in fact I hardly saw any other hunters. My biggest complaint is the season dates for Archery. The Colorado Division of Wildlife has it right. They give the archer the best possible dates, basically the whole month of September for the elk rut. Here in Utah we give the rifle and muzzleloader people the best dates. In my opinion the rifle hunters don't need the extra advantage and would do just fine hunting at the closing portion of the rut like in Colorado. With archery though you really need the advantage of getting the bull not only to respond to calls, but to come in. That only happened for me (bulls coming in) on the last evening hunt of the last day. Kind of sucked, and very frustrating. I'd like to give the Utah DNR a piece of my mind. And plan on doing so.

Brandon
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 am

I got the same email and it is only a select few that can take the survey. It gives you a specific ID # to log into the survey with. What is funny is I got it and I only have a general spike tag... Oh well I will send them my thoughts on how this years hunts went. A lot of my feelings are swayed by what I have heard from everyone here that posted about their LE hunts so I will use that.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:22 am

Bowtec I also put that in my survey. Move the gun hunt later and either move the archery season closer to the rut or make it longer. And for all the spike hunters I told them that they should have a season of their own at the middle of August before the LE hunts start.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I think Utah would benefit by using Colorados plan for deer and elk management. Utah defenitly has quality elk but you have to wait 10-20 years for a tag.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:32 pm

6x6 & Sneeky - I appreciate you guys adding some of our complaints to your surveys. It certainly makes me not want to hunt with a bow next time I draw a LE elk tag. It's just real difficult if you can't call elk in. Thanks again.

Brandon
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Here is the link the survey, has an option to take the survey whether you have a number or received an email or not.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=g ... LJuw%3d%3d