I need HELP!!!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Ron B
Fawn
Fawn

I need HELP!!!

Post by Ron B » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:36 pm

I would like to do an out of state hunt and I have been planning a hunt for 2010 for Elk. The majority of my planning has been for Utah, now since I found this website and have been reading some post I am considering Colorado. Where I need help is where do I go?? I am looking at a Cow Elk hunt. I thank you for any help and or advise that is given :)

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: I need HELP!!!

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Colorado and Utah both have a ton of elk. I'm more familiar with Utah and I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the cow tags in the Wasatch, or Centeral Mts units. Pick one and start putting in for hunts. In my experience, if you want a sure thing, put in for the January hunts as they seem to set the least amount of applicants, then, bring your snow clothes and come shoot a cow.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Earlymorningpoker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Earlymorningpoker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:Colorado and Utah both have a ton of elk. .-----shooter
Utah has roughly 60,000 elk
Colorado with about the same square mileage has about 400,000 elk

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:40 pm

If you plan on hunting past 2010, start banking some points also. I think you may still be able to get a point in Wyoming, but you have to do it today or tomorrow. There are a lot of good otc tags, but it doesn't hurt to have some points to hunt a better unit. Just my opinion.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:06 pm

The western slope of Colorado has the best elk hunting. Try looking at the DOW website www.wildlife.state.co.us and go to statistics. You'll find some areas you can draw either sex 4th season tags with no points. Study the hunt sucess rates too. Get a map probably the Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer is the best to start with. Alot of the OTC tags are good if you are willing to walk a bit. Good luck.
Mark

Ron B
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ron B » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:27 am

Thank you guys for all your help