Arizona January 05 Hunt (pics)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

Arizona January 05 Hunt (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:20 am

Many of you have heard of the Muley Crazy Crew (Ryan et al) tipping over monster muleys the past couple years in Northern AZ. Well, I call this trio the BOHNTR Crew. :arrow

Here are some pics of a few bucks we got last week. The first is Fred Smith's heavy down-hill buck. I've watched this buck the last couple of years get smaller in tine length, while gaining more mass. He's 23" wide, very tall, with lots of extras. With only a 3-point side, he still grosses in the 150's. After Fred shot him, I wished I hadn't passed the deer 2 days earlier. #-o

The second photo is the other member of the BOHNTR Crew, Wally Schwartz. His buck is a 25" 4-point with a broken G-4 on the right side. When we frist saw the buck early in the hunt, he still had the G-4, which was about 9". The buck still grosses in the 150's.

I had my chance at a monster 220" non-typical and simply mis-judged the yardage. I passed many 20-24" four points and ended up coming home without one. The price you pay I guess for being picky I guess. Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AZBuckSnort
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AZBuckSnort » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:13 am

Congrats on the nice brace of desert bucks. You certainly have hunting these desert muley bucks down to a science. I recall a buddy of yours took a great buck last January as well. My own attempts at bagging one of these desert bucks have been considerably less successful!

DBARCHER

Post by DBARCHER » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:02 pm

Congrats , to bad you didn't connect on the big one
](*,)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:10 pm

BOHNTR,

Thanks for the photos, looks like a blast and some great success. Both bucks are great bucks, that bottom buck looks like he has a huge head and big ole Roman nose. Sorry you missed the "PIG", at least you have seen a few monsters still roaming this year. :)

How far away was the big one? Do you use a range finder?

Congrats to the crew. =D>

Brett Wilson

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:35 pm

Yeah, I have a rangefinder but I wasn't able to use it on him, as it kept reading the grass in front of him. I was caught in the wide open and couldn't move much. I guessed him for 40 yards, but he was acutually only 32. Well, arrows tend to fly over their backs when you mis-judge that badly. :)

After seeing Fred's buck, I wished I hadn't passsed on him earlier. He really was a unique buck that was aged about 8 years old. Thanks for comments guys, I really am glad you all enjoy the photos. Hopefully I'll be posting up some hog photos in the near future.

Pope & Young Measurer

akw270

Post by akw270 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:42 am

Great pics. Glad to see you got some nice bucks! Are the other two with you friends from california? There's' always next year for that hog you didn't get. :)

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:08 pm

akw270:

Yup, we're all from this crazy place (CA). :1 We've bow hunted together for almost 20 years and have a good time together.

Pope & Young Measurer

drjeffcbp
Fawn
Fawn

Post by drjeffcbp » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:16 pm

I was wondering which unit you took these bucks in? I am hoping to do the late season archery hunt in Arizona next year.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:40 pm

Well, let's just say I'm in the area between Sierra Vista and Tombstone. :)
Not a lot of deer, but some good ones.

Pope & Young Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Looks like a successful trip my friend!

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:44 am

As usual BOHNTR, great job and nice pics.