Tough 2006 Archery Hunt (pics)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

Tough 2006 Archery Hunt (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:55 am

Well after 14 days of incredibly dry hunting conditions, coupled with unseasonably warm temperatures, I decided this was one of the worst bowhunting conditions I’ve experienced in the Arizona desert in a long time. To add even more misery, the rutting activity was moderate at best. The best buck I saw (only 2 times) was a 28” 4x4 that would score about 180”. I just never could close the deal and get close enough for my liking.

One day 13, I came right up on a buck lying underneath a thick mesquite tree. My binos revealed a 24” buck that had G-4’s that were at least 8”, decent main beams and eye guards, but I couldn’t see the rest. Judging the body size, I figured he was a decent buck, especially this far into the hunt. I glassed a small opening and sent an arrow through the buck. When he exploded out of his bed, he caught his right antler in the tree and up-ended himself and on his back. Regaining his composure, he sprinted about 80 yards and bedded again. I gave him 30 minutes, thinking I had double lunged him. When I returned and snuck up on him, he was still alive so I had to finish him.

I was amazed the buck was only a large 3-point with eye guards. It was then I noticed he had broken 3 of his points (part of main beam, G-4, and G-1) on his right antler when he was catapulted from his encounter with the tree. UNREAL!

I went back and briefly looked for the broken points under the tree, as he was fully intact when I arrowed him. I searched for a few minutes to no avail. Ever tried to find the same colored antler tines amongst thousands of dead mesquite twigs the same size and color?

The buck measured 24” outside. His main beam (non-broken side) is 22.5”, G1 is 2”, G-2 is 14”, and G4 was 8.5”. His inside spread was right about 20”. The broken side (looking at the diameters) was probably his bigger side, as his G2 was almost 15”. Had he not broken his points, I guessed he would have net scored in the low 140’s as a 3-point. By far not my best, but a good representative to end out a tough hunt. Hope you all enjoy the photos……it’s a long time until deer season again! Time to start scouting. :)

Here's some live ones I passed on:

Here's a coues whitetail doe:

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:54 am

Dang, sounds tough indeed. What exactly was the reason for not seeing finding better deer? Seems that finding water under those dry conditions would have worked? Where the deer just scattered or the bigger bucks elsewhere? Or maybe there just plain wasn't any bigger bucks period.

ALWAYS enjoy your photos and stories none-the less. Crazy how he busted his rack up like that. Nice 3-point though!

Thanks for sharing the pics/story!

Did you solo it? How did your buddies do?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:06 pm

Brett:

Never found water....that's what was scary. I did notice deer feeding frequently on cactus. Maybe getting water from there?????

The does were there, just not moving as much as normal because of the 75-80 degree temps. Witout them in estrus, many of the big bucks were'nt there. Don't get me wrong, we saw at least 5 bucks that would score 165" or better that we would have arrowed if given the opportunity. However, on a normal year, we'll see a few in the 190-200" range.

The BOHNTR crew was with me (Wally & Fred). Fred had the best chance, missing a HUGE 3x4 that probably scored 165" as a 3-point. If he was a 4x4 he's be a B&C buck. He shot right under him on opening day. ](*,)

Wally passed a few bucks, including a P&Y 4x4 that would score around 155". He did however, arrow a bobcat and coyote on the trip.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Kirby
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Kirby » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:28 am

Sounds like a good but tough hunt. Thanks for the pics, helped with the boredom. Only another 8 months till deer season...
](*,) :>/

Kirby
When in doubt, floor it.

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks for the pictures sounds like a tuff and very hot hunt. #-o #-o

DBARCHER

Post by DBARCHER » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:32 am

great buck for the desert roy. The hunting has been hard here in Arizona this season. I missed a nice little coues buck on Jan 2, but Haven't seen a buck since. Will try to chase some mule deer later today, but will see how that goes.

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:10 am

Congratulations! Sure is a nice buck. Wierd luck breaking that tine, but an awesome story. The dry winter has been a problem for us too. We just got done with our pig hunt. With the lack of water they are eating barrel cactus! Hollowing them out from the side and the top. The wierdest thing! Their poop is even a little different this year. . .

Sure hope it rains like crazy this spring. . . We're going to need it.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:50 am

BOHNTR, congrats on a successful, if not challenging hunt. Sure wish I could send the SW U.S. some rain from home. The old lady is tellin' me that it ain't stopped rainin' or snowin' at home (SE WA) since December. In fact, they had one stretch of over 25 straight days with rain. Should be good for the heards in my neck of woods though.
9 more days my friend and I'm back in the states for good!

supersider34
Spike
Spike

Post by supersider34 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 pm

Very nice buck congrats on that buck.