Old bows...are they worth it

Talk anything related to bowhunting
typicalmuley
Spike
Spike

Re: Old bows...are they worth it

Post by typicalmuley » Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 am

I have and older bow about 9 years old and it shoots just as good as my brother's and wife's new bows. The key is just finding a bow that suits you. I have had that bow for 9 years and I don't plan on getting a new one anytime soon.
Idaho Rules

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Post by alpinbowman » Fri May 09, 2008 3:12 pm

newhunterette wrote:old bows - I sure hope they are worth it - I inherited my Daddy's bow 2 years ago after we lost him - I used to shoot the one my Momma gave me but haven't pulled a bown in quite some time and am looking forward to taking some lessons to get back into it.

both the bows are Ben Pearson recurves - 1 is 55# Ben Pearson Hunter and the other is 35# Ben Pearson Cougar

both were manufatured in the 50's so I hope it is still worth using them by todays standards of recurve bows.

Ali
Ali. I would be careful with those bows. You may want to just hang them up to remember and get something a little newer. If you do shoot them make sure you look over them very well and inspect every inch of the bows for cracks or splintering. If they are fiberglass you will be a little safer but wood/laminate be aware. Also after you string them check for limb twist. If they do twist un-string it and definitely don' t pull it back. And make sure you use a bow stringer to string them. good luck with the bows and welcome back to archery. ::wel
alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

cabowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cabowhunter » Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 pm

newhunterette wrote:old bows - I sure hope they are worth it - I inherited my Daddy's bow 2 years ago after we lost him - I used to shoot the one my Momma gave me but haven't pulled a bown in quite some time and am looking forward to taking some lessons to get back into it.

both the bows are Ben Pearson recurves - 1 is 55# Ben Pearson Hunter and the other is 35# Ben Pearson Cougar

both were manufatured in the 50's so I hope it is still worth using them by todays standards of recurve bows.

Ali
If you haven't done it for awhile start out with that 35#, you will be gald you did, I would shoot that 35 for several months...I have lots of older Bear recurves that are fully functional and they get used every week.
ROSS Cardiac 60#, ROSS C337 60# Bear Instinct 65# , All Leftys 29" DL
Excalibur ExoMax 225# W/ Excal Lumizone
NAP Spitfire 125's
California Licensed Guide #011290
http://www.myspace.com/cabowhunter