Best "easy draw" archery elk unit in Utah?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
3fingerbrown
Fawn
Fawn

Best "easy draw" archery elk unit in Utah?

Post by 3fingerbrown » Fri May 23, 2008 9:50 am

When one looks at the average wait for the prime Utah elk units, one quickly realizes that he can only hunt in one of these units a few times in his life. The general season, however, is very crowded.

What I'm wondering is, are there any units for archery elk in utah that are an easier draw, but still have a good success rate? Obviously the bulls are going to be smaller, but the success rate has to be there. If I can go out and bag a 300" bull every 3-4 years, I'd be a happy guy with my favorite meat in the freezer.

Are there any units that fit this description?

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Re: Best "easy draw" archery elk unit in Utah?

Post by alpinbowman » Fri May 23, 2008 11:46 am

Unless you are really lucky that is about impossible. The main reason is you have a 2 year waiting period before you can even apply after you draw a tag. Than means you want to draw a tag with 0 or 1 point. Even the easyest areas to draw take 5-7 points. So If you can get an LE archery tag every 10 years you will be doing really really good.
alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

3fingerbrown
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 3fingerbrown » Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

I meant to say, besides the waiting period, are there any units that have a decent success rate, where the average draw wait (for residents) is 4 years. I take it you are saying there are not, that the minimum draw wait on even the easier units is 5-7 years. Even still, 5-7 years is better than 12-13. What units are you thinking of?

According to my research, the following elk units in Utah have lower wait periods (average wait for residents to guarantee an archery tag, with average success rate over last 3 years):

La Sal: 5-6 years, 42% success
Filmore Oak Cr. South: 4 years, 50%
Paunsagunt: 4-6 years, 32%
Cache North: 5-6 years, 11%
Cache Meadowville: 4-5 years, 47%

Can anyone recommend any of these units, or advise against any of them? Only Cache North has a success rate too low for me.

Anyone think it doesn't make sense to go for the "easy draw" units? (Maybe because the general bull draw tag is almost as good if you work hard, so you might as well save your points for a prime unit?)

Hope that clarifies my question.

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Fri May 23, 2008 2:46 pm

The waiting period is 5 years not 2 years.

3fingerbrown, of the units you listed, the two I believe give you a real good chance at a 300+ bull with a decent chance at a 350 bull are the North Cache and LaSal units. The others, Fillmore Oak Creek/Pauns have very low elk populations, the Oak Creek was recommended by the DWR to be turned into an any-bull unit. The Meadowville unit has now been absorbed into the South Cache LE unit. Other good units with decent odds are: Diamond Mountain/Three Corner. If you can draw a tag every 10 years you are doing real good.
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri May 23, 2008 4:26 pm

I wouldn't mess with the Pauns IMO, it's on the downhill for sure as far as Elk are concerned.

Agreed with above guys though.

HUNTIN FOR LIFE
2 point
2 point

Post by HUNTIN FOR LIFE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am

Yea, i agree with muleymadness i have hunted my hard the last 2 years on the pauns, with my dad, and uncle and i was very disapointed with the elk heard there.
INSANITY! Is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result!

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm

i hike North Cache a lot and can tell you there are elk here and you see them but when the hunts are on its like they have a summer home somewhere. I know i could get you to a few elk every year but closing the deal with a bow mightr be a little harder and that could be the reason for the lower results.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:35 pm

pm sent

azoutback
Fawn
Fawn

Post by azoutback » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:07 am

I wouldnt be too disapointed in the low elk numbers on the pauns. That is the best news for the deer herd you can hear! :thumb