Need help Bad

Talk anything related to bowhunting
jayhunt
Fawn
Fawn

Need help Bad

Post by jayhunt » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Any Body have any tips for an early season mule deer hunt. its hotter than s!@# we see tons of sign but cant find any bucks. this is my first ever mule deer archery hunt. (???) (???) (???)

BOHNTR

Re: Need help Bad

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Do you know of any water sources in the area away from roads?
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:14 pm

jayhunt ::wel to Muley Madness, when ya get a minute tell us about yourself.

I agree with BOHNTR a water source off of the beaten path would be good to key in on.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

jayhunt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jayhunt » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 am

There arent many access roads. and the ones that are driveable lead to the main water sources. I think They are bedded down for the day by 7:00 am from what ive seen This unit is rough dotted with lots of private yuppie wannabe ranch land. was out all weekend from thurs thru sun and only saw 5 does

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:36 am

If you're seeing lots of Does, go higher or lower. Big bucks don't hang with Does right now, except the "Dinks". If, you're seeing lots of sign try stillhunting the canyons. I agree with the others on the water, except I hate hunting water. I don't have the patience for it. Stalking is more gratifying to me. Be sure to glass everything. Look for horns, ears, rumps. They hide anywhere. Once I don't see anything I go to where I don't think any Deer are present. I find that hunters don't like to hunt the sage flats and ridges because they don't have trees. I find these places to be "honeyholes" for me. You will find with a lot of hunting pressure they will seek refuge in these places. I hope this helps you out.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

jayhunt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jayhunt » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:59 pm

The terrain here is rough open flat then turns to steep mesas with cedar and pinon pine trees.Very little water up high. a wind mill here and there down on the flat.

This is the first ever bow hunt for me also a first for mule deer. here in nm its hotter then heck right now.
i m hunting with a high country ultra pro split limb set at 29 inch and 60 pound, easton thunder storm arrows and walmart broadheads. (my hunting budget is tapped) so any advice would be good advice for me since i just started shooting in june. thanks

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:01 pm

It was hard for me to find the bigger bucks this last week where I hunted but after 5 days of tracking and scouting I did find some. They laid up on the knife edge ridges in the breeze to keep the bugs off. I had three close calls but didn't arrow one. One 190 plus trash master, a 170 class 33 inch 3 point with no brows and a 140, 4 point with bows. I finally arrowed a little one in the last 15 minutes to have something to eat. Good luck.
Mark

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:19 pm

Mark,

Sounds awesome, I'd like to see the little one.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Here's the little one I got. His ears were bloody from all the fly bites he had on them. Mine were too. The back of my neck was raw too.
Mark
Attachments
dead deer   2.JPG
dead deer 2.JPG (69.43 KiB) Viewed 4684 times

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Very nice, thanks for sharing! Enjoyed the story and photo! :thumb