2008 Buck 223 6/8ths

Talk anything related to bowhunting
ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Re: 2008 Buck 223 6/8ths

Post by ElkaHolic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:11 pm

LMHO I don't get it, worst year physically I have had in years, long story you can read it here http://www.crossbowhunting.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=73

But hey I would gladly help if I could, We, I take kids or people whom are physically challenged on hunts and I swear I left home on Aug 13th, and just got home a few days ago, now this tag come in LOL unreal, gonna have to get a loan out on the house if I get that Lion taken just so I can get all this Taxidermy work done.

BTW that post above shows the kind of nit picking that should just stay out of stuff, It was done on purpose to show how stupid things can get lol
There is a reason they call it Hunting, and not Killing :)
http://www.thehuntersspace.com

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:36 pm

You have definetly had it hard but you are makeing the best of life and thats all that counts
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

Post by MTQUIVER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:55 am

I wasn't trying to stir things up I just didn't see it personally. I think it is an awesome buck and I would shoot it with a bow and arrow for sure, but I would double check the score. I am just adding up inches in my head and I can't come up with that score. I just wondered if it was marked correctly. As far as promoting crossbow hunting I think what you are doing is awesome. My dad has polio and walks on crutches. He hunts all over the world and has taken alot of trophy's with a rifle. He has a crossbow and I am always encouraging him to use it. He has taken a few animals with it but I would love to see him do it more. I think that anyone who can shoot quality animals with a crossbow is a good hunter. Congratulations again.
Jason Yates
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com/
Go Bow or Go Home

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:42 am

I scored it, a very reputable person that does taxidermy scored it and another friend scored it we were all within a 1" or less, sorry but I stick by it. I hope your father does pick one up a crossbow, He can also hunt extra time as a disabled hunter with bad legs. Check into the handicapped rules and see what he can qualify for.

ok here goes Number of points A left, 6 left 6 right
b: tip to tip spread 25.5
C: Greatest Spread is measured between perpendiculars at a right angle to the center line of the skull at widest part, whether
across main beams or points. I measured 32 main beam to main beam, but I could get 34" but I stuck with 32" D: inside spread of main beams is 30"
E: total extra points 6.25
F: Left 27.5 Right 28.5
g1 left 2.5 right 2.5
g2 left 4.25 right 6.25
g3 left 4.25 right 2.0
g4 left 10.5 right 10.25
h1 left 6 right 6
h2 left 5 right 5
h3 left 4 right 3.75
h4 left 4 right 5.5
I did not include the points when I scored it (A) on my sheet, plus this shows 231 4/8ths
add in A and I get another 12 if you add them in(not sure if your supposed to or not) BC sheet, but I did not, heck it's almost 5:00 a.m. so add them up let me know if there is anything you have seen done wrong, I did not keep anybody else's scribbles. I only used my friends numbers in the post, these are my measurements, I rechecked them and they are correct.

I don't really care what it scores, I rounded mine up or down but it was usually within an 1/8 or so, so that's probably the discrepancies on this sheet, can not find the one me and my buddy did together.

MULIES4EVER
3 point
3 point

Post by MULIES4EVER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 am

Cool story. I am glad that your life has turned out so well. You have a beutiful wife who hunts with you and 2 daughters that are probably just as pretty. You have taken some nice animals and given back with the positions you have filled. Congrats on the success story. Thanks for sharing.

HUNTER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by HUNTER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:14 pm

GREAT BUCK ElkaHolic, what state did you get him in, and was it a general season hunt or Limited Entry hunt?

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Guess what area I got him, and yes it was Utah, Just from the look of the buck I am sure just about any Utah person would be able to guess where he came from, if not I will tell ya

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:02 pm

hey not knockin your buck that is a dandy!!!!! score does not matter but i think where ya messed up on score is the greatest outside spread is NOT included in the final score the only spread that is counted is inside spread... anyway congrats on 2 animals of a lifetime!!! i really love the extras on that buck and especially the width!!! without that outside spread he'd be in the 190's and that is still huge!!!
and goodluck on that lion... what unit is your lion hunt?

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 pm

OK, so then why does the BC score sheet have the greatest spread as a measurement? Measurement C. Like I said, I did not include the greatest spread in my measurement, only the main spread. :-k I took every measurement the sheet said to take and added them up, could somebody clarify this? The sheet says you take an B, C, D measurement. That's all that is included. So if that is try??? I have a 193 6/8th buck, this buck is much wider and taller, hard to figure the logic. Like I said, the person that measured him that I took as true is a well know person who knows what he is doing and I stick with my 223 6/8ths, I know he is correct.

Instructions:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEASURING TYPICAL MULE AND BLACKTAIL DEER
All measurements must be made with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. (Note: A flexible
steel cable can be used to measure points and main beams only.) Enter fractional figures in eighths, without reduction. Official
measurements cannot be taken until the antlers have air dried for at least 60 days after the animal was killed.
A. Number of Points on Each Antler: To be counted a point, the projection must be at least one inch long, with length
exceeding width at one inch or more of length. All points are measured from tip of point to nearest edge of beam. Beam tip
is counted as a point but not measured as a point.
B. Tip to Tip Spread is measured between tips of main beams.
C. Greatest Spread is measured between perpendiculars at a right angle to the center line of the skull at widest part, whether
across main beams or points.
D. Inside Spread of Main Beams is measured at a right angle to the center line of the skull at widest point between main
beams. Enter this measurement again as the Spread Credit if it is less than or equal to the length of the longer antler; if
greater, enter longer antler length for Spread Credit.
E. Total of Lengths of all Abnormal Points: Abnormal Points are those non-typical in location such as points originating
from a point (exception: G-3 originates from G-2 in perfectly normal fashion) or from bottom or sides of main beam, or any
points beyond the normal pattern of five (including beam tip) per antler. Measure each abnormal point in usual manner and
enter in appropriate blanks.
F. Length of Main Beam is measured from the center of the lowest outside edge of burr over the outer side to the most
distant point of the Main Beam. The point of beginning is that point on the burr where the center line along the outer side of
the beam intersects the burr, then following generally the line of the illustration.
G-1-2-3-4. Length of Normal Points: Normal points are the brow tines and the upper and lower forks as shown in the
illustration. They are measured from nearest edge of main beam over outer curve to tip. Lay the tape along the outer curve
of the beam so that the top edge of the tape coincides with the top edge of the beam on both sides of point to determine the
baseline for point measurement. Record point lengths in appropriate blanks.
H-1-2-3-4. Circumferences are taken as detailed in illustration for each measurement. If brow point is missing, take H-1 and
H-2 at smallest place between burr and G-2. If G-3 is missing, take H-3 halfway between the base and tip of G-2. If G-4 is
missing, take H-4 halfway between G-2 and tip of main beam.
Attachments
bnc.jpg

MTQUIVER
Spike
Spike

Post by MTQUIVER » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 pm

According to your measurements your buck scores 174"

39.25" total mass measurements- Very Heavy Buck
30" Inside spread- Huge inside spread
56" Main Beams- Very Long
5" g1 total
10.5" G2 total
6.25 " G3 total
20.75 G4 total
6.25" extras

Total score 174"

Greatest spread and tip to tip are just references but they don't count on the score.

Great buck none the less
Last edited by MTQUIVER on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Yates
http://www.basinarcheryshop.com/
Go Bow or Go Home