Hunting strategys

Talk anything related to bowhunting
huntin aint easy
Fawn
Fawn

Hunting strategys

Post by huntin aint easy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 am

What would you say the best hunting technique would be? using a blind or hunt and stalk?
*Deer are where you find them*

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Hunting strategys

Post by hound_hunter » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am

Hmm.. Much too broad. Given different circumstances either technique would prove to be the "best" as far as success with filling a tag & freezer. I suppose if you're talking about a big, old, trophy animal (and that's another thing, what animal are you talking about pursuing) then possibly just sitting somewhere in some kind of a blind might prove more successful, but at the same time people bag them year after year with spot & stalk techniques.

I don't think I really need to go on, but there are some very knowledgable people on here, if you narrow it down to a specific situation I think you will get the input you are looking for (which I'm assuming is just curiosity of different peoples opinions, right?)

bullelk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bullelk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:13 pm

You need to tell us what you are after, what weapon you will use, time of year, etc. Then some people can give you some of their opinions.

huntin aint easy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by huntin aint easy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah sorry guys......Im talkin about muley deer durring the archery hunt, Im a teenager and i havent tryed to sit in a blind, but when i try to stalk a deer i get too impatient and end up makin all kinds of noise and scarrin the deer off. <--------)
*Deer are where you find them*

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Well I would suggest spot and stalk in this neck of the woods, unless of course it's dry then you could sit water in a blind or treestand.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

I personally prefer spot-n-stalk.......mainly because I know I'm hunting a buck that I'm positive I would arrow rather than one I hope comes in.

Now having said that, I have sat water here in the dry climates of the CA July archery blacktail season. A lot of patience and perseverance is needed in those conditions though.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:34 pm

I think that it depends upon what type of terrain you are hunting. As mentioned spot and stock is a wonderful way to hunt. There is nothing quite like manuvering in for that kill shot but there are some places that I hunt that you are lucky to be able to see twenty yards. When I hunt those areas I move into blinds or stands to give myself a little more advantage. After years of scouting these areas I've learned of a few places that more of the animals move through so I set up and watch these places for the animals to move through.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 pm

My strategy this year will be all about scouting. I will have three game cams spying on the critters. Then when I find the place that has the most critters that's where I'll be. Failing that, hunting the rut worked for me. They are more interested in "Other things" then and aren't as spooked by people trying to kill them then.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!