La Sal LE Archery Elk Hunt

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

La Sal LE Archery Elk Hunt

Post by Bowtech43 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 am

Well, I hunted my balls off and had a ton of close calls. I saw 11 good bulls, 5 - 6x6's, 5 -5x5's, and one 4x4, close enough to kill 9 of them if I were packing a rifle, but I guess I like to be kicked in the head since I was packing a bow!!! J/K It was a lot of fun, but an exhausting experience.

I had a 315 class bull at 40 yards just behind a pine tree branch, it busted me and moved. Later I had a 340 class bull broadside at 124 yards. Obviously way too far. I had a 300 class bull at 72 yards in thick oak brush in the shade, could see his vitals but not antlers, I looked through the binos, confimed it was the bull, raised my bow just as the bull stepped forward and out of sight.

I had the 340 class bull coming in on the last evening about 100 yards away, then a 350+ bull bugled loud and hard, the 340 class bull stopped, looked really nervous, and then turned away and left. The big boy came in just on the other side of a grove of oak brush about 50 yards away. Couldn't see him, but could hear him screaming like he was standing directly over me with a really low throaty bugle, I could even hear him breathing. I didn't dare move because he was so close, and we were standing on corn flakes, then he must have scented me because all of a sudden the bugles stopped.

I had a 330 class bull at 200 yards, tried bugling and raking trees because the cow calling wasn't doing it yet, apparently I sounded like a bad a.. bull because the 330 bailed.
Overall I had a long, hard, a little disappointing, but worthwhile hunt where I learned a ton and pushed myself to the max. I'm grateful for the experience but am definitely on Elk hunting detox now.

But most of all I am dissatisfied with the DWR and the Elk Hunting dates. Archery should be the most prime time of the rut. The rifle hunters don't need all those advantages. The only day cow calling worked to get them to come in was the last day. And like I said if I had a rifle I would have had 9 very makeable shots at bulls from 280" to 350+. It's too bad that because there are more rifle hunters that the DWR caters to them. We really need to try and get a better dates for archery elk. It seems to me that the rifle and muzzleloader dates are better. I know there are many factors involved in when the rut is in full swing, but it seems that typically it's around the third week of Sept. when they are going hard. Archery is just tough if the rut is not going hard core.

Anyway, good hunt. I still love archery, and the difficulty of the deal will always keep me coming back for more. It was really awesome to see so many big elk close up like that, but a bit heart breaking I must admit. That's hunting. Lots of near misses.

The La Sal Unit is beautiful!

Brandon
Last edited by Bowtech43 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: La Sal LE Archery Elk Hunt

Post by m gardner » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 am

The LaSals are the best! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sounds like quite a hunt you had. That's where we hunt deer and we see lots of great bulls there too, but at a distance. You're right about the timing. I think that the outfitters have alot to do with that. You had the mental toughness to stick it out though and that's hard to find anymore. Good job. :thumb
Mark

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:52 am

Sounds like you had a great time even if you didn't kill a bull. I hunt an OTC unit in CO so just reading that you saw all of those bulls makes me jealous. Good luck with getting the archery dates changed but I wouldn't hold my breath. Archery hunters are not a big enough crowd to have enough pull to get things changed. Not enough money or clout for the people in charge.

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. Mark I heard you were in the La Sals at the same time, I was keeping my eyes open for you. We camped on Pine Ridge on the northern side. Anyway it's great country, but those close encounters are already haunting me. Probably will until I kill a bull with my bow.

6x6 - You're right the almighty dollar is king. It's too bad, but I guess that's the world we live in.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

BIGHILLHUNTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGHILLHUNTER » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm chealous!! The shanc eto enjoy the great outdoors is better than most any day job, especially when you have the chance to be among the fasinating animal wappitti!!